2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Throttle control Linkage loose

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 12:23 PM
John Ott
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle control Linkage loose

Just got my Dodge RAM 1500 4x4 back from the transmission shop after the transmission control module was replaced. Truck was running fine before the check engine light came on when I switched to 4x4.

But after I got the truck back it started to stall and backfire. Checking under the hood I found the clip on the throttle control linkage had been pulled loose. It was attached but not pushed all the way in to the point where it clips in place. Once I clipped it on completely the problem went away and the truck no longer stalls or backfires.

Would removing this linkage be a normal SOP when replacing the transmission module?

Or have a run into a crooked mechanic that wants to do a unnecessary tune-up? I just had a major tuneup done 8K miles back (plugs,wires, rotor, air filter and fuel system cleaned) So I knew something was fishy.

The problem is I don't know where it occurred. The Dodge dealer had no transmission techs available as both were on sick leave. So I had the part replaced at a local transmission shop and then the Dodge Dealer flashed the software to the replacement module.

I hate to call consumer protection if removing this clip is standard procedure for the transmission work. But I suspect it is not.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:11 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Old 10-15-2012, 01:28 AM
John Ott

Turns out the O2 sensor for the emissions control was intermittently failing without giving an check engine code, totally unrelated to the transmission module failure. It finally stalled and gave a correct error code. replacing the sensor got my truck running great again.

Still don't know how the throttle linkage got unsnapped, I suppose it was accidental.

Truck in running like new again. wallet is much lighter.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:32 AM
tbone360
Professional

Man that sucks. At least everything turned out alright.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:31 PM
It's Me Patt
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John Ott
Turns out the O2 sensor for the emissions control was intermittently failing without giving an check engine code, totally unrelated to the transmission module failure. It finally stalled and gave a correct error code. replacing the sensor got my truck running great again.

Still don't know how the throttle linkage got unsnapped, I suppose it was accidental.

Truck in running like new again. wallet is much lighter.
Really dude, you have yet to figure that out? You just got it out of the trans shop, take a wild guess? (ps crofton)

Quick Reply: Throttle control Linkage loose