2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Welded Front Diff

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 12:37 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I posted those links earlier as just a reference. Not that you'd actually duplicate the end result having not knowing your terrain or more importantly driving style. In fairness you should have stated the terrain type originally as they is a factor. In any case you're doing it regardless. Here's a good recent topic to check out.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1087781

Lastly, have more than one spare locking hub. You want that as the fuse and i think you know why. Historically the autohubs suck and really only good for snow. Just tossing that for ya.

Lastly you just got this rig and curious how much wheeling have you done with it? It goes a long way to get the shoes wet first before making changes by choice rather bc of breakage. Lol

Good luck in any case. Again im not for/against. Ultimately comes down to what demands you put on the rig.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:52 AM
ryan0714
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a trail rig. prob 70% trails 30% street. I didn't say I was gonna weld it tomorrow. Just wanted thoughts. I know it would help for sure. ill test it a little more before I decide. but if I was gonna do it that's how ill be doin it

Old 09-05-2012, 12:37 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would rather pony up and spend the extra cash for a selectable front locker, or stick an LSD in it. I wouldn't be opposed to welding a rear on a street driven rig, your tires would just chirp around corners. It just comes down to whether you want to do it cheap, or "right." Wrong has been proven to work when done well, but on a nice rig like your Rancharger, I think it's worth the extra cash.

Quick Reply: Welded Front Diff