2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How hard to drop the fuel tank?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 05:31 PM
sungod
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How hard to drop the fuel tank?

Have a leaking brake line and of course it happens to be behind the fuel tank. I could probably shade tree it and just run new line, but if it isn't too much hassle, I could drop the tank to get access inside the frame rail and do it right. How much hassle would be involved with moving it enough to get access to the brake line?

Old 09-07-2012, 05:38 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Easier to take off the bed if you have a guy or two around to help.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:03 PM
sungod
Veteran

The problem is that even with the bed off, I still wouldn't have access because the line failed in the 'C' channel and the fuel tank is up against it.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Just replace the entire line.... remove the old line that you can get to, leave the rest.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:12 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You dont need to drop the tank completely. I removed the fill tube and straps, with the tank being held up with a jack and a 16" piece of 2x10. And just pushed the tank against the drive shaft. I had enough room to replace the line. Removing the bed will not help.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:57 PM
plott hound
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heyyou has the easiest solution.i just fished a new on through and left the old one there.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:28 PM
Jigabop
Champion

dropping the tank is bloody impossible!!!

I don't know why y'all are afraid of dropping your tanks...I've had my 35 gallon tank out of my diesel twice now..

first drain the tank
next roll your *** under there with a creeper and an impact gun, and a couple wrenches, unbolt the cross member under the tank, undo the clamps for the filler neck, and get a quick connect tool and get your head up between the bed and frame on drivers side and unhook the fuel lines and the sender plug from the canister.

once that's all unhooked, undo the two nuts holding the tank straps up (1 per strap) and drop the tank.

its 4 bolts, 2 nuts, 2 clamps, 2 fuel lines, and 1 plug. once all undone it drops right out.

I did the damn tank twice by myself! no help! and the first time it had diesel in it!!!use your leg while on a creeper when reinstalling it...leg holds tank up while you get straps hooked in their grooves and then push em up till you can get nut on the bolt.

its really not that hard, just make sure its empty first...

Last edited by Jigabop; 09-10-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:23 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Dropping the tank is an easy process....

And to do the brake line you dont need to touch the tank...with mine i cut the line before the tank and fed a piece of brakeline between frame and tank until i could see it from the back end of tank then i just cut the line where its good and flare them up and put together....

So brake line you dont have to touch tank....if it was the fuel line then youd have to drop tank

Old 09-09-2012, 11:41 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
Dropping the tank is an easy process....

And to do the brake line you dont need to touch the tank...with mine i cut the line before the tank and fed a piece of brakeline between frame and tank until i could see it from the back end of tank then i just cut the line where its good and flare them up and put together....

So brake line you dont have to touch tank....if it was the fuel line then youd have to drop tank
It may be easier that way , but I personally would rather press the new line back into the plastic clips that hold it in place. So I know it's not rubbing on the frame or anything else for that matter.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:41 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
It may be easier that way , but I personally would rather press the new line back into the plastic clips that hold it in place. So I know it's not rubbing on the frame or anything else for that matter.
+1, and most likely have a rattle that you can't find because the lines aren't clipped in.

Quick Reply: How hard to drop the fuel tank?