2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9 motor shakes when started up

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 11:12 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegas360
This just started the other day. I turned it off to repair the steering box and add new fluid then when I turned it back on I noticed it shaking. Right when I turn it on, it shakes with the RPM's and then when it settles down and idles it's fine. When I give it gas it shudders and shakes through the RPM's. It does the same thing in neutral, drive, and park. When I'm driving I can feel it in the gas pedal and steering wheel and it's more prominent at lower speeds like starting from a stop. It does it when it's cold at start up and when it's warm. No difference.

What could suddenly cause it to go from running great one second then shaking/shuddering the next?

This is what I have done so far.

Plenum repair

Valve cover gaskets
New injectors
Tested all the throttle body sensors. TPS, IAC, MAF. All in working order.
New Cap and Rotor
Plug wires routed according to the TSB
Checked for vacuum leaks with carb cleaner. Found none.
Used a code scanner. No codes.
Reset the battery didn't help.

Could it be?

Bad coil?
Cap and Rotor failure of some kind?
02 sensor?

If I had hair I'd be pulling it out right now. Any ideas?
Originally Posted by HeyYou
Have you addressed your plenum yet??
Read bold text Did you go with a Hughes Plate or the ebay plate?

Old 09-11-2012, 11:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Too obvious...... I am going to claim tiredness, as I just got home from work... yeah, that's it.... tired......

Old 09-12-2012, 12:17 AM
Vegas360
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, I got the aluminum plate from the guy on speed freaks. I think it's the same as Ebay. Used felpro gaskets and replaced the valve cover gaskets at the same time. New bolts all around yadda yadda. Cleaned the intake out really good. No porting or cutting just left it real clean. I have checked repeatedly and there is no oil in the intake since then. Just some drips from the PCV valve which I replaced now as well. The old one was dirty.

I'm going to replace the plugs tomorrow because it's cheap and since the valve cover gaskets were leaking fairly good, it may be possible that one or more of the plugs are fouled. Although it's just weird that this problem started instantly like 2 hours prior to it running really well for 4 days. It's just really weird that after I put new power steering fluid in it and then started it up that it shakes right after that. But that has got to be a coincidence. Nothing spilled and I was sure to make sure that all of the air if any was out.

Name:  Picture19.png
Views: 68
Size:  641.1 KB

Name:  Picture7-2.png
Views: 68
Size:  727.9 KB

Name:  Picture16.png
Views: 67
Size:  610.0 KB

Last edited by Vegas360; 09-12-2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:36 AM
Vegas360
Rookie

Originally Posted by ReadRam
Check fuel pressure?...probably not it, but. Do compression test yet?
Have not done compression test yet. But it may not matter once I put a .50 though the block. Don't worry, I wouldn't say that in front of her.

Last edited by Vegas360; 09-12-2012 at 12:43 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:58 PM
Vegas360
Rookie

Ok, here is where I'm at today. Put new plugs in and now it idles smoother than before but still shakes. I drove it to the parts store and it seems worse off now. I't noticeable at higher speeds too even though it smoothes out a bit. Oil pressure is good and filled to spec. Transmission oil is looking good and filled to spec and shifting good. The exhaust note sounds nice and even when idling and revving. There is no weird smell or smoke coming out of the tailpipe. I am pretty sure I notice the motor moving around more than before at idle too.

Nothing I have done so far be it mechanical, fuel related, or electrical has helped changed the condition. I took another look at the motor mounts and they look pretty bad. I think they maybe just sitting in there totally torn off. What made me think it wasn't them was that this shake happened suddenly and not over time.
What I think could have happened is that a couple of days after the plenum repair I was really getting on the throttle to enjoy the new awesome power of the 5.9. This could have been the breaking point for the motor mounts. When I got home and turned it off it's totally possible than one or both collapsed and sunk while it was sitting there and later that day when I started it up the shake was there. It is defiantly more pronounced today than it was.

Friday I am going to order new motor mounts from RockAuto and hope this is it.

Last edited by Vegas360; 09-12-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Vegas360
Rookie

Ok , after reading all darn day and searching all kinds of automotive forums, I finally found 1 post where a guy was experiencing the same thing that I am. The Harmonic Balancer. Same symptoms as I am having now. I have never had one go bad before so I don't really know how to detect it. As I kept reading I found that they can go out suddenly. Also read that it's a common issue with the 5.9. Possibly torque related. I checked mine out and I can see the rubber coming out a little and there are cracks in it. Along with the motor mounts, I am going to replace this as well. I'll post feedback when it's done. I don't like when threads are left with no solutions. Here are the two sites that lead me to this idea.
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums....php?p=4688845
http://forum.stangtv.com/showthread.php?t=5010

Wish me luck.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:14 PM
Vegas360
Rookie

Put a pry bar on the motor mounts because the HB looked ok. Here is the vid. Do these look a little worn to you?

Both right and left are like this and I am just going to assume the tranny mount is done as well. I have been putting the hammer down since the plenum repair and I guess it was enough for these mounts to finally crab the bed fully.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:45 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

Well theres your problem!!!! Those are definitely shot. At least you know it shoukd run like a top when you get the new ones on.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:34 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You might add these to your parts list, they made a big difference in my truck, even with new motor mounts.

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...ame&Sec=131674

Old 09-13-2012, 11:41 PM
Vegas360
Rookie

Definitely look like good mounts. I am going to have to go cheap here just to get it running with some Omix mounts and later down the road get the nice ones. We are getting ready to move back east and I'll be shipping the ZJ and taking the car. Here are the mounts I was looking at. I'm quite relieved that I may have finally put this mystery to rest. Thanks for all the advice. I post the results when I get it together.

http://www.ironman4x4fab.com/Products/MM.html

Quick Reply: 5.9 motor shakes when started up