2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9 motor shakes when started up

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 11:56 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Jeep, those insert parts may or may not work.

Last edited by merc225hp; 09-13-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:34 AM
Vegas360
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by merc225hp
Jeep, those insert parts may or may not work.
They will work. I have a 5.9 ZJ with the 5.9 and 46RE combo. It's just that more Dodge's came with the 5.9 and 46RE than the ZJ's so I come here for the knowledge. There is much more information here than on the Jeep boards.

Last edited by Vegas360; 09-14-2012 at 12:36 AM.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:31 PM
ReadRam
All Star

Vegas360 have you changed motor mounts yet? Reason I ask is yesterday I seafoamed through brake booster, then went for a ride and put pedal down pretty hard couple times and my shake at idle got worse again. Same thing happened few months ago after mechanic took her out ran her hard after fixing the rear end. Last big repair I did that was going to fix it was H balancer and timing chain. I have 160 to 170psi on compression. Anyone got ideas. Ping came back while carrying extra 1000 lbs in addition to the standard extra 1000 lbs the truck always carries. Ping was gone after replacing cap,rotor,plugs 3 times,wires,IAC ,MAPand Eichlen coil that middle part of it is loose,now it's back. Danka!

Last edited by ReadRam; 09-16-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:52 PM
Vegas360
Rookie

I have the mounts on order, they are shipping out tomorrow. As for the ping, there may be some carbon deposits in there causing it. I haven't had the ping come back since I did the plenum. Check in the intake and make sure there's no oil. You could try going one step colder with the plugs and putting in a 180* T stat too.

Bad motor mounts can sound like pinging if they are really worn like mine. Get under there with a small pry bar and see if they are trashed or not.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:35 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I replaced my Transmission mount last weekend; I'd say my shake off idle disappeared about 60-70% It was completely shot.. but now the shake is back with vengeance. When i first started hunting this ghost-mystery shake; i had 2 tyranny shops and the dealer take a look at they all said the mounts were good.. once i pulled my tyranny mount out.. I found it was not the case for it.. I'm thinking the mounts too.. they are my next thing. Once they are swapped; I'm simply not going to worry about it any more.. I've already spent too much time on this issue and dropped too much money replacing parts and convincing my self the entire time it is 'preventive maintenance'

Old 09-17-2012, 11:36 AM
Vegas360
Rookie

Originally Posted by jondakotaguy
I replaced my Transmission mount last weekend; I'd say my shake off idle disappeared about 60-70% It was completely shot.. but now the shake is back with vengeance. When i first started hunting this ghost-mystery shake; i had 2 tyranny shops and the dealer take a look at they all said the mounts were good.. once i pulled my tyranny mount out.. I found it was not the case for it.. I'm thinking the mounts too.. they are my next thing. Once they are swapped; I'm simply not going to worry about it any more.. I've already spent too much time on this issue and dropped too much money replacing parts and convincing my self the entire time it is 'preventive maintenance'
If the trans mount was bad it's almost a sure thing the motor mounts are too or vice verse. I'm replacing the trans mount at teh same time I'm doing the motor mounts. I know how you feel about chasing this problem. It took me about a week of trying everything else before I came to my senses and used a prybar to check them.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:49 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah.. I've been chasing for 2 years.. LOL at me for listening to shops.. sometimes those experts I assume either just don't have a clue or just do not want to fool with it. It took me a good 6 hours to get that damn mount out and replaced.. Really was a pain.. but finally got it done.

But I agree 100% on the mounts; it's time anyways regardless. I'll probably do mine this payday.. or find someone that wants to make some beer money and do it for me.. depends on how it goes..

Mounts was my first impression.. even the dealer said nothing was wrong with it.. even the shake was 'normal' 2 tranny shops said my tranny mount was good and noting wrong with the transmission. So i started looking to the engine for mystery misfires or carbon and all that mess.

What I honestly hate the most is the inconsistent performance of the 5.2L that is my biggest pet peeve (off topic of course) is the inconsistent performance.. some times it wants to go.. sometimes not.. not really in the motor more of the transmission up shifting at various times.. giving that bogged down feeling.. it annoys me.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:04 PM
Vegas360
Rookie

I agree, these transmissions do not have the best shift points. I have to say I liked the 46RH on my old truck much more than this 46RE.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:18 PM
Vegas360
Rookie

Got the new motor and trans mounts in and it still shakes and shudders. I am all out of ideas. No where else to go but a mechanic.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:04 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegas360
Got the new motor and trans mounts in and it still shakes and shudders. I am all out of ideas. No where else to go but a mechanic.
If you'd had this problem a year and a half ago I'd have volunteered to drop on by and help out. Ain't nuthin' gonna get me back to Vegas now.

Have you completely ruled out that harmonic balancer, or at least got down there and reefed on it to be certain that it's not gone sloppy?

Quick Reply: 5.9 motor shakes when started up