2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Installing cab lights and towing mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 08:47 PM
RareColorRam1995
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing cab lights and towing mirrors

Hello everyone, I'm looking for some input on the difficulty and basic steps to install aftermarket smoked cab lights on my 1500, and towing mirrors. Basically, I want it to look like a 2500. The towing mirrors on them have always looked badass to me. The truck is a 2001 by the way. Thank you for any input, I will respond quickly to new posts!

Old 09-12-2012, 09:02 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

Neither task should be too difficult. Putting in the cab lights is a matter of pulling down the headliner, drilling carefully measured holes and installing the cab lights. Then figure out the wiring, instructions should help you out with that. There's also a vid on youtube that shows how to install them, that might help.

Tow mirrors are extremely easy. Put mine on in 20 minutes. Just pull out a few clips from the corner of the door and unscrew three nuts and pull off the old mirrors, installation is the reverse. Using a 1/4" drive ratchet and deep well socket helps a lot. Also having someone to hold the heavy tow mirrors while you screw in the nuts helps out a lot...I didn't have that luxury.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:16 PM
RareColorRam1995
Professional

I see. I may have the cab lights pro installed, I'm great with lighting & wiring.. drilling is another story lol.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:23 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

Yeah that's probably a good idea, shouldn't cost too much either. And If you mess it up it's kinda hard to re-do and end up with no leaks.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:52 PM
RareColorRam1995
Professional

That's what I was thinking. Got a link to good quality not too high price mirrors?

Old 09-12-2012, 10:07 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

eBay. Mine were bought from the am-autoparts seller for $165 shipped (manual mirrors and brackets). But I'm sure any other seller would be fine as well.

They look the same as Mopar ones. Only problem I have with mine is that with the windows down you can hear the mirror quietly whistle from air passing through it...but it's really no big deal.

And just make sure you buy the mounting brackets along with the mirrors since they're sometimes sold separately.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:00 AM
wyomingdodge7
Veteran

Originally Posted by Matt Nickerson
eBay. Mine were bought from the am-autoparts seller for $165 shipped (manual mirrors and brackets). But I'm sure any other seller would be fine as well.

They look the same as Mopar ones. Only problem I have with mine is that with the windows down you can hear the mirror quietly whistle from air passing through it...but it's really no big deal.

And just make sure you buy the mounting brackets along with the mirrors since they're sometimes sold separately.
I got mine from discountautomirrors.com, $160 shipped, power/heat and the works. But as he said, MAKE SURE YOU GET THE BRACKETS, or your mirrors will shake like crazy and be *******ly useless.

But, good choice with them. I love mine, I can see everything behind me, trailer mode or not.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:00 AM
wyomingdodge7
Veteran

Originally Posted by wyomingdodge7
I got mine from discountautomirrors.com, $160 shipped, power/heat and the works. But as he said, MAKE SURE YOU GET THE BRACKETS, or your mirrors will shake like crazy and be *******ly useless.

But, good choice with them. I love mine, I can see everything behind me, trailer mode or not.
?? basically? b a s i c a l l y ? Is that a pretty offensive word??

Quick Reply: Installing cab lights and towing mirrors