2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

TTY Torque To Yield Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 10:20 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TTY bolts CANNOT be threaded all the way to the head. The threads will alter the elastic capacity of the bolt. That said, due to the high failure rate of the bolts, replacing them is a good option....

Old 09-14-2012, 11:09 PM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by It's Me Patt
Wonder why that's what the dealership sells & why hughes sent me grade 8's then..I got duped man!
Just put em in with some Anti Seize...

Wow, the intake bolts get discussed more than any other bolt on the engine and they are just torqued to 12 foot lbs, any bolt of the right length and thread would and has worked.

As far as anyone saying that's what dealer uses so they have to be right....

Cracked Dashes
****ty steering
Death flash
Magic vents
46RE
PLENUM PLATE....etc etc etc....

Old 09-14-2012, 11:28 PM
It's Me Patt
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Adobedude
Just put em in with some Anti Seize...

Wow, the intake bolts get discussed more than any other bolt on the engine and they are just torqued to 12 foot lbs, any bolt of the right length and thread would and has worked.

As far as anyone saying that's what dealer uses so they have to be right....

Cracked Dashes
****ty steering
Death flash
Magic vents
46RE
PLENUM PLATE....etc etc etc....
No, no, no all I said is that's what they sell..POINT being, they're selling the lower grade bolts if grade five is better than 8, which I gathered from a post a few back..AND the whole point of this thread was the clear up the freakin backand forth about what is TTY bolts and weather or not the IM bolts are or aren't...kinda thought that was obvious to the non oblivious...maybe the link will explain it better to those that don't understand what I've said as well as others..enjoy it!

http://freeasestudyguides.com/a1_4.html

Old 09-14-2012, 11:42 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The article linked is correct as far as it goes.....but fall far short of validating whether the IM bolts are TTY. TTY are typically used on head in the automotive industry. My Jag has TTY and the shape of them makes it obvious. As I stated, TTY cannot be threaded all the way as the IM bolts are. I cannot find the specs in ASME, but it is there.

.....and I agree with adobedude...far too many posts on some rather inexpensive bolts. NO thread or poster in particular, and no offense is intended, but this is a debate which is probably never going to be resolved to a level that eveyone will agree.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:58 AM
It's Me Patt
Captain

Originally Posted by gdstock
The article linked is correct as far as it goes.....but fall far short of validating whether the IM bolts are TTY. TTY are typically used on head in the automotive industry. My Jag has TTY and the shape of them makes it obvious. As I stated, TTY cannot be threaded all the way as the IM bolts are. I cannot find the specs in ASME, but it is there.

.....and I agree with adobedude...far too many posts on some rather inexpensive bolts. NO thread or poster in particular, and no offense is intended, but this is a debate which is probably never going to be resolved to a level that eveyone will agree.
1st not taken! Now if you were making fun of my truck then that's a different story That info is for present & future wrench turners..Not a discussion about IM bolts! And I agree with BOTH of you. They're far to many 'posts' on TTY bolts and IM bolts. But they're all over the place and seen by guys that have been on here for yrs and who have read lots of threads/posts..Not so much as guests and newbies..That's why I started the 'thread'..to aid in searchability and so you guys that know what you're talking about would post the correct info..And there isn't anything that everyone will agree on and if you don't think so I don't agree with ya

Old 09-15-2012, 12:34 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker

I reused mine 3 times now and will continue to do so. If you live in the rust belt, I can see replacing them.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:42 PM
It's Me Patt
Captain

Originally Posted by Hahns5.2
I reused mine 3 times now and will continue to do so. If you live in the rust belt, I can see replacing them.
aah, so you're familiar with the ol' east coast..salty

Old 09-15-2012, 11:13 PM
Adobedude
All Star

Originally Posted by It's Me Patt
aah, so you're familiar with the ol' east coast..salty
Man I look at pics of the guy's trucks whom live out side of NM...Rust is not an issue on anything anywhere here, the underside of my 98 Ram damn near looks like new.

Gotta suck to see your truck rot away.

Quick Reply: TTY Torque To Yield Bolts