2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2000 ram shifting question

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 06:13 AM
shanes76
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 ram shifting question

I got a 2000 ram, 1500 4X4 with the 5.2, sometimes when coming to a stop it feels like I have a warped rotor, but it continues after Im completely stopped, this is usually after being in OD on the highway and exiting the interstate, then it seems to stop after I turn the OD off. Also if Im going from a stop and speeding up kinda fast and let off the gas a little I get a very hard shift into drive. there isnt any slippage. Fluid and filter was changed less than 1000 miles ago, not burnt, nothing in my pan. Truck has 147,000 on it. It almost seems like the torque converter is out of balance or something sometimes. I havent dont anything to it. I was reading up on the Sure Cure kit and it mentions torque converter shudder and I think that is what Im getting. the shift from 2nd to drive is also very fast, not sure but it dont seem right to me. I bought the truck about 3 weeks ago, I do know that the doughnut gasket on the manifold needs replaced and I plan on getting that done probally monday morning. I also have a PVC valve to put in, I think it takes 2 and only bought one so I have to get another still. ANyone got any ideas on this shudder or the shifting Im getting?

Old 09-16-2012, 11:54 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

Only one PCV valve. The other side just has an elbow, that doesn't need replaced. (unless it's broke....)

Checked your plenum yet?

Might wanna clean the throttle body as well.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:36 PM
It's Me Patt
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah like HeyYou stated only one PCV..you should get an OE one..My shudder started before I repaired the plenum and cleaning the TB..replaced the IAC too, and continues to do so..the leaking oil into the IM sholud be checked with the TB off for the best view..I've found if I turn the OD off it keeps the RPM's above 1100 @ 40mph and no shudder, but turn it on and as soon as I hit 40 at low rpm's shudder and shake baby...Have you done a comp test yet? I posted a thread on this issue with no final results tho..'shutter -hesitate-misfire' (bad spelling, I know)

Last edited by It's Me Patt; 09-16-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:05 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by It's Me Patt
yeah like HeyYou stated only one PCV..you should get an OE one..My shudder started before I repaired the plenum and cleaning the TB..replaced the IAC too, and continues to do so..the leaking oil into the IM sholud be checked with the TB off for the best view..I've found if I turn the OD off it keeps the RPM's above 1100 @ 40mph and no shudder, but turn it on and as soon as I hit 40 at low rpm's shudder and shake baby...Have you done a comp test yet? I posted a thread on this issue with no final results tho..'shutter -hesitate-misfire' (bad spelling, I know)
You replaced/gutted/checked the cat right? I know , I know, your thread. Just wondering, and adding info to this one.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:45 PM
shanes76
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I havent done anything yet, which side is the pvc valve on? How do I check the plenium, and am I checking for a vacum leak? I will try cleaning the IAC and throttle body and replace the PVC and see what it ends up with. As far as the CATS, I have no idea as to if anything was done to them, what is the easiest way to gut them? I want to get duals put on before long, anything special I need to do so? I should also mention that after I hit drive at a low speed it seems to take a few seconds for the speed to increase, say like you getting on the interstate. Like a lack of power, so Ill be checking the IM for oil because when I bought it and changed the oil it was low, and it has no leaks, dont smoke or anything so that will be the first thing I check. Ill let ya know what I come up with

Last edited by shanes76; 09-16-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

Read the first page or two of the plenum thread stickied at the top of this forum. That will answer most of your questions.

Gutting the cat can be fun... need to cut the pipe behind it, take out the front O2, and break up the stuff in the cat, and get it out.... break it up small enough, and you can just start the engine, and step on the gas a couple times and blow it out.

Quick Reply: 2000 ram shifting question