2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'96 - Please help me diagnose rattling in the front.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 11:29 AM
crslolbkr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '96 - Please help me diagnose rattling in the front.

My '96 Ram 1500 4x4 has had a bit of a rolling rattle in the front since I got it a few years ago. It was very faint then, like a ticking noise, but now it's alarming. It sounds like a part has come undone and is dragging underneath. It hasn't though. At it's worst (higher speeds - 40 mph), it kinda sounds like a roller coaster getting pulled up the first hill, except for not quite as precise and consistent. At very low speeds (5 mph) it sounds like someone kicking a ratchet down the street.

I replaced the wheel bearing/hub (pain in the neck) because the wheel was wobbling when lifted. That did not help at all. It needed done though, so no loss there. I don't want to just start replacing parts that aren't bad though.

Using my description, I wonder if anybody has experienced this same thing. Maybe someone has some good diagnosis techniques to help narrow it down.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:48 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

One or both front axle ujoints are bad.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:54 AM
crslolbkr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks!

Old 09-21-2012, 09:04 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

test axle u-joints with truck on the ground, sitting still. grab the front inner half of the axle where it goes into the axle tube and twist it forward and backward. there should be no movement, no play, no click or clack sound between the inner and outer half of the axle.

Quick Reply: '96 - Please help me diagnose rattling in the front.