2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Took truck in for ATF leak, leaks again 2 days later

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 04:48 PM
HKMadness
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Took truck in for ATF leak, leaks again 2 days later

2000 dodge ram 1500 5.2L v8 2wd

It was leaking about a 12" puddle of ATF, so I took it in to a shop. They dropped the tranny, replaced the seals, reinstalled the tranny. It was fine the first day, just a drop here and there leaking, the mechanic said when they put in the torque converter, some fluid spills so that's all it is and it will stop.

2 days later, I walk out, see a puddle approx 12" wide again from the same area (see gap at bell housing/dust cover area). I call the shop, let them know, mechanic says it may be cracked tranny, but that he'll talk to some tranny experts and get back to me. What do the pros here think?

Old 09-21-2012, 05:10 PM
HKMadness

Also, I read here that level readings are to be taken in neutral as opposed to park on these trucks. When i picked the truck up, I drove about 15 miles, pulled over, checked fluid in N, it was about .75 quarts low, I put it in, read perfect, went home. I just had a wishfull though that maybe, just maybe, it might be spitting out some excess fluid. What do you think? I'm not sure though because the truck has been sitting for about 30 hours and I saw a drop fall when I went out.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:18 PM
DK-v1
Professional

Best bet would be to spray it down nice and clean. Then check it often to see where the fluid is actually coming from.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

I would pull the inspection plate, and have a look. If the front seal on the trans went out, there is a reason for that...... usually it's a bad pump. If they just replaced the seal, chances are good they only fixed a symptom, and not the actual problem.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:09 AM
HKMadness

Thanks for the responses, guys. Good points.

Quick Reply: Took truck in for ATF leak, leaks again 2 days later