2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CEL code P1740 - What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 11:54 AM
Nsmitty21
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL code P1740 - What should I do?

My pickup is throwing a P1740 code for the TCC solenoid. The truck seems to be running fine except for the fact that every once and a while, right around 50 mph, the rpm will surge. This happens in OD and also in 3rd gear. I have felt a rare shutter every once and a while around 50 mph that will disappear upon acceleration. For some reason I thought that the TC didnt lock in 3rd. Could this be a TPS sensor issue that caused this? I did replace the TPS a few months ago but maybe I got a bad one?? I bought a BWD brand TPS. I did a search on this code and it looks like it could be a number of things. I really dont have the money to start throwing parts into the tranny right now. I dont know if I should just play stupid and wait for the tranny to go out, replace the TC, the TCC solenoid, put another TPS in it, or just do nothing and wait to see if it blows up? Does anyone have any ideas??? Oh, and I also replaced the Tranny filter and fluid around the same time I changed the TPS, about 4,000 miles ago.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:28 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Drop pan, (install drain plug - about $3.99). Remove OD and TCC solenoid and clean or replace. Romeove and clean the Gov pressure sensor and solenoid also.

Replace filter, reinstall pan (13 ft pds on bolts) and refill with ATF+4 only. Check level with fluid warm and in Neutral.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:51 PM
Nsmitty21
Professional

Thanks for the reply. Is there a certain part number I should be looking for? I see there are a few different solenoids listed. Are the OD and TCC solenoids different parts? Sorry for the ignorance I haven't delt much with auto tranny interior parts other than changing fluid, filter, and installing a shift kit.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:50 PM
It's Me Patt
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nsmitty21
Thanks for the reply. Is there a certain part number I should be looking for? I see there are a few different solenoids listed. Are the OD and TCC solenoids different parts? Sorry for the ignorance I haven't delt much with auto tranny interior parts other than changing fluid, filter, and installing a shift kit.
If you're ordering from rock auto look under 'control solenoid' and you'll also see pics for the diff parts..watch the vid for help..use discount code 110502559063811...let us know how things go

Old 09-24-2012, 02:56 PM
It's Me Patt
Captain

And apology not accepted! Don't be sorry for not knowing..There's no person on here or anywhere else for that matter who knows everything!! Some would like to think so, but no

Old 09-25-2012, 09:47 AM
Nsmitty21
Professional

Thanks for your replies and the video!

One thing I forgot to mention. Ever since I got the truck it seems that the TC unlocks way earlier than it should and doesn't lock as soon as it should. I always just thought it was a TPS issue or maybe that is the way Dodges are since I have never owned one before. Do you think this is a sensor issue, or does that point more towards TC??

Old 09-25-2012, 05:44 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

That video is great, and thanks for posting it(bookmarked for future posts) . But that's just the Gov solenoid and transducer/pressure switch. Great info for cleaning,replacing them. The TCC/OD solenoid assembly is a little harder to replace, it's the assembly right above in that video, it has the main harness plug connection on it. If you look close after removing the filter and gov stuff you will see what I mean. And it is possible to replace without removing the Valve body.

Name:  getimagephp-5.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  7.2 KB

Last edited by zman17; 09-25-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:52 AM
It's Me Patt
Captain

Originally Posted by Nsmitty21
Thanks for your replies and the video!

One thing I forgot to mention. Ever since I got the truck it seems that the TC unlocks way earlier than it should and doesn't lock as soon as it should. I always just thought it was a TPS issue or maybe that is the way Dodges are since I have never owned one before. Do you think this is a sensor issue, or does that point more towards TC??
No I'd bet that it's def not the TC..

Old 09-26-2012, 11:54 AM
It's Me Patt
Captain

Kool, I hope they help! Enjoy them and share them too..here's one more...

Old 09-26-2012, 06:38 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Another great video. Bookmarked. But I will say again, there is no need to drop the VB(which that alone will scare the DIY'r) to replace the TCC/OD solenoids.

Quick Reply: CEL code P1740 - What should I do?