2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CEL code P1740 - What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 07:54 PM
It's Me Patt
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thoughts, advice on replacement or cleaning them? and yes i'm scared there's some other parts I wanted to check/replace and have to drop the VB...

Old 09-27-2012, 09:20 AM
Nsmitty21
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great videos, both of them. I ordered the TCC solenoid and hopefully will replace it this weened if it gets here in time. Thoughts on just cleaning the Gov control solenoid? How do you clean it, just flushing it out with some tranny fluid?? Also, how much tranny fluid will I need to buy? I forgot how much it took with my filter change a while back.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:10 AM
It's Me Patt
Captain

Mine takes four qts for a change and I keep an extra on hand...which is an approx for you, as there are a few factors to consider such as having an aux cooler..you just don't want to overfill is all I'm saying and use the correct type of course..as far as cleaning, not 100% so can't say..I hear ya tho rock auto wants about $100 for it
I'd google search it..

Old 09-27-2012, 11:05 AM
Nsmitty21
Professional

For some reason I though I bought 4 when I changed mine last time originality but I remember adding a pint or so like ever day for a week! Mine does have an aftermarket cooler too though.
Yeah for $100 I figured I would give cleaning it a try and see how that works. Man I hate working on trannys and all this electronic stuff!!

Old 09-28-2012, 09:52 AM
It's Me Patt
Captain

Originally Posted by Nsmitty21
For some reason I though I bought 4 when I changed mine last time originality but I remember adding a pint or so like ever day for a week! Mine does have an aftermarket cooler too though.
Yeah for $100 I figured I would give cleaning it a try and see how that works. Man I hate working on trannys and all this electronic stuff!!
Sure I'm stating the obvious but after drain/fill, need to drive and get it to op temp. Check fluid in N gear (w/e-Brake on) on a flat surface after shifting through gears too..GL and post up your results

Old 10-12-2012, 05:05 PM
Nsmitty21
Professional

So I changed my TCC solenoid and it seemed to do a little better but still had some RPM jump like it didnt want to lock up all the way. Then today my CEL light came on again with the same P1740 code. Does anyone have any other suggestions or should I just start saving for a rebuild???

Old 10-13-2012, 12:31 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What did you find in the pan? Anything more than just a bit of gray sludge on the magnet?

It is sometimes difficult to get the VB cleaned out so there could be more in there that is effecting lockup. Also, check the connector real good. If it is not good and tight it could cause an issue.

Quick Reply: CEL code P1740 - What should I do?