2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine stalls when clutch is engaged?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 04:15 AM
dont dodge it ram it
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Engine stalls when clutch is engaged?

Hi everybody I could really use some help with my problem. I have a 2000 Ram 1500 with the 5.2L 318. I just did a transmission swap and put in a NV3500 5 speed tranny. The truck runs great and shifts awesome. I had no problems the first time I took it for a drive. But now I'll be coming to a stop, push in the clutch, and the engine stalls! It doesn't do it if I give it a little bit of gas after I push the clutch in, or if I give it gas right before I push the clutch. But if I'm drifting to a stop in gear then push the clutch in, it will stall.

I'm not sure where the problem could lie, but my one thought is the computer. I didn't use the computer out of the 5 speed truck. I'm wondering if the 5 speed computer raises the idle because the transmission isnt dragging the engine along when coasting to a stop? My other thought is to replace the plugs and wires. I will probably do that soon if I cant figure out the problem, but I would like to drive it now. I dont really want to drive it until I figure out the problem though because its a pain in the a** to turn without power steering.

Any suggestions? Please help!

Old 09-29-2012, 01:25 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I assume it had auto trans? IAC setting may be different for auto vs std....don;t know for sure. May check IAC. Also, PCM may be looking for trans data and not seeing it so it is confused. Getting any codes?

Old 09-29-2012, 02:31 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

IAC may simply be bad. Try cleaning it. And remove negative battery cable before doing so. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...n-the-iac.html

And like GD said, the PCM is different for an auto trans.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:13 PM
dont dodge it ram it

Originally Posted by gdstock
I assume it had auto trans? IAC setting may be different for auto vs std....don;t know for sure. May check IAC. Also, PCM may be looking for trans data and not seeing it so it is confused. Getting any codes?
yes it did have an automatic tranny. i probably should have mentioned that. but yeah i considered that it could be a bad IAC but it ran fine with the auto tranny. i did get the codes checked and the normal ones appeared like trans temp, shift solenoid... ect. but the one that got me thinking was a transmission code: "park/neutral switch stuck in park". im wondering if the idle is low because it thinks that its in park. any idea how to change idle or fool it into thinkin that its in gear so the idle goes to normal for driving?

Old 09-29-2012, 04:53 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having the correct pcm and harness would get rid of those codes, and may fix your idle issue.

But first, start with cleaning the iac (and maybe replacing it) its free and eliminates it as a possible cause.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:51 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by dont dodge it ram it
yes it did have an automatic tranny. i probably should have mentioned that. but yeah i considered that it could be a bad IAC but it ran fine with the auto tranny. i did get the codes checked and the normal ones appeared like trans temp, shift solenoid... ect. but the one that got me thinking was a transmission code: "park/neutral switch stuck in park". im wondering if the idle is low because it thinks that its in park. any idea how to change idle or fool it into thinkin that its in gear so the idle goes to normal for driving?
The PCM needs to be flashed by the dealer or whom ever if you went from an auto to a manual.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:23 PM
dont dodge it ram it

Originally Posted by zman17
The PCM needs to be flashed by the dealer or whom ever if you went from an auto to a manual.
thanks for the advice. yeah i guess ill have to get it flashed i just dont know how much thats ganna cost me i didnt know if there was a cheaper way

Old 09-30-2012, 04:27 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by dont dodge it ram it
thanks for the advice. yeah i guess ill have to get it flashed i just dont know how much thats ganna cost me i didnt know if there was a cheaper way

Dealer only as far as I know.

Quick Reply: Engine stalls when clutch is engaged?