2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

~~~Idles fine then literally almost stalls - loud hissing sound under hood

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 07:05 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
but what has been done about checking or replacing the clogged/clogging cat 1 1/2 years ago?
That's my question, too. If the thing is so carboned up as to have reached nearly 12:1, it's even money whether or not it's too late to save that engine on the cheap.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:30 PM
Forceofwon
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get that hissing sound too, But ONLY when I first start the truck in the morning, or first start of the day. I have the hughes intake manifold replacement, so there is NO plenum gasket (of course) But I cannot figure out why this hisses like that at first. Mine idles fine, but it does run rich and carbon fouls the plugs over time

Old 10-01-2012, 11:46 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Forceofwon
But I cannot figure out why this hisses like that at first.
I done 'splained it for ya already.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:54 AM
It's Me Patt
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get that hissing sound too, But ONLY when I first start the truck in the morning, or first start of the day. I have the hughes intake manifold replacement, so there is NO plenum gasket (of course) But I cannot figure out why this hisses like that at first. Mine idles fine, but it does run rich and carbon fouls the plugs over time
dude, first what do you mean by that statement? you did the fix but didn't put a gasket in?? second, if your plenum was bad then 99% it f'ed up your cat as well as o2's, #8 plug and so on..bad smell is from a bad cat, the running rich is from going bad or a bad o2..you know what's wrong. Weather or not there's other issues fix em next. Why give a F about a stupid hiss when your foulin plugs..which ever is doing damage and costing you $$ should take precedence over a noise..If you have the paper to fix it do so and post your results..kool, good luck man..

Old 10-02-2012, 08:23 AM
Derick C.
Professional
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by It's Me Patt
dude, first what do you mean by that statement? you did the fix but didn't put a gasket in??.
He has the hughes intake manifold.

Name:  Hug5409b.jpg
Views: 4667
Size:  261.1 KB
"NOT THE STOCK INTAKE MANIFOLD"
Name:  stock.jpg
Views: 4854
Size:  218.9 KB

Last edited by Derick C.; 10-02-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:23 AM
It's Me Patt
Captain

K, makes better sence, i was purtty sleepy eh..but still you don't use a gasket? Looks like someone didn't mask before they painted the kegger

Last edited by It's Me Patt; 10-02-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:28 AM
Forceofwon
Amateur

YES! Derick C. This is what I was trying to say.THANK YOU. Ill have to show ya'll a pic of what I did with mine. Painted my old rails bright blue, etc and dressed it up nice. I have that wonderful, beautiful manifold, worth every penny because it did fix 80% of what was wrong with the truck. Just a few minor issues now....Unregistered User-didnt mean to offend you buddy. I did read your explanation-I was just making a point that it only hisses for a short time at start up, only 1 time during the day. I was under the impression that the other guy who had this problem it hisses more often for him

Old 10-02-2012, 10:37 AM
Forceofwon
Amateur

K, makes better sence, i was purtty sleepy eh..but still you don't use a gasket? Looks like someone didn't mask before they painted the kegger
Nope the hughes dont have a plenum plate. Nor does just about any other "normal (lol)" manifold. This is the first "barrel" or kegger type Ive ever seen. But Im old school, Im used to cars with no computers and the carb setup :-) But the hughes reminds me of some of the high rise Eldebrock manifolds I use to buy for my cars (two '71 Chargers at 2 different times-lol)

Old 10-02-2012, 11:37 AM
Derick C.
Professional
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like someone didn't mask before they painted the kegger
Not sure. That pic is from the hughes site.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:42 AM
It's Me Patt
Captain

Nope the hughes dont have a plenum plate. Nor does just about any other "normal (lol)" manifold. This is the first "barrel" or kegger type Ive ever seen. But Im old school, Im used to cars with no computers and the carb setup :-) But the hughes reminds me of some of the high rise Eldebrock manifolds I use to buy for my cars (two '71 Chargers at 2 different times-lol)
so all this crap with the freakin plenum problems could have been avoided at the factory huh...OMG!!!!!

So what's the deal with this IM? Is the pan welded on or something?

I've must have been under a rock cuz this is the first I've heard of this.

Yup those were the days and you could actually had room to work on them too...and I'm going to paint mine (IM) when I pull it of to change the heads..

Quick Reply: ~~~Idles fine then literally almost stalls - loud hissing sound under hood