2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tire choices

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 09:56 PM
Ballfroguy
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the rocky mountains

Old 10-02-2012, 10:03 PM
BackInBlack43
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the truck mainly stays on the pavement local driving mainly, its only been off road a few times. He does some ocasional towing nothing too crazy. yeah im not expecting to great mpgs, hes averaging around 8 and a half around town right now, with his current tires being very agressive but lets be honest none of us bought our trucks with the intentions of caring about fuel economy. i personally have a/ts on my truck because i travel back and forth to college a few times a year and love them, but i think he wants a slightly more agressive appearance. That would be my hesitance with terra grapplers. some of yalls suggestions sound pretty good

Old 10-02-2012, 11:02 PM
goalcrasher13
Amateur

i seconed the Cooper S/T MAxx i have them on my truck and i love them. Ive got around 15k on them and they still have 60% + left on them.
i wouldnt get the Terra Graplers my father inlaw has them on his excursion and he ate threw them way to fast

Old 10-02-2012, 11:13 PM
DodgeRam10
Veteran

I have nitto terra grapplers, they look nice and are good for all terrain but mainly pavement. They were already on the truck when i bought it 25k miles ago and they still have tread so id say theyve gon 30-40k miles so far.

http://www.nittotire.com/Tire/terragrappler

Old 10-03-2012, 06:47 AM
Ballfroguy
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I worked at discount tire for over 2 years and the terra grapplers and bfg all terrains were the most popular. On the downside, the bigger sizes 33+ usually would come back for some rebalancing. Never knew why or cared really, what I did notice is the ones that rotated and balanced when suppose to got the best milage wear out of it. The only reason I say any other than nitto is the price, I found people got the same performance from the rocky mountains and coopers. I also hardly saw them for rebalancing or at least as much as I saw the nitto, bfg crowd. Ultimately its your choice

Old 10-03-2012, 11:22 AM
BIGRED97
Captain

i bought some AT3 a few weeks ago, so far i love them! they were doing a 75$rebate with purchase of 4. I have seen a slight improvement in mileage over my former BFG. They do pretty well in the mud, have a lot of grip.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:32 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One more thing to add, I bought through Discount Tire, and when you buy from them you get a lifetime of free balancing and rotating as well. I like to do my own rotations, but the balancing is nice to have available.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:54 PM
mangoamerican
Amateur

cooper at/3's are on sale right now.. 75 dollar mail in rebate

Old 10-04-2012, 03:16 AM
JSTMoto
Veteran

Add me to the list of recommendations for the Cooper Discoverer AT3s.

For what it's worth, they replaced some worn BFG AT KOs that I wasn't impressed with. I am running LT285/70-R17s (Load Range: E) and they balanced easily and ride great on the highway.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with them. I was a Bridgestone Dueler Revo fan, and I was sad to see Bridgestone update the design (Revo IIs). But, it seems as if I found my next favorite tire. I am looking forward to snowfall to give them a good thorough analysis.

Quick Reply: tire choices