2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

another dead ram

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 08:46 AM
bunker
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another dead ram

hey all well here is another wont start dodge problem.got a 99 dodge ram 1500 4x4 with 5.9 gaser

I was going down the road at around 60 and the engine started sputtering then stalled dead.

here is what ive checked so far.
all plugs and wires new
tried either to start nothing
has fire but to me doesent look right
all fuses and relays ok ASD, Fuel etc all check good
im pretty sure im getting gas i pushed the valve on the fuel rail and fuel came out,i have noway to check pressure or get the fuel line off im guessing its a dealer tool.

what i did see that bugged me was the rotor botton was a lil worn,and the center botton on the dist cap looks burnt but im getting fire so not shure what to think about that.

ive looked in the service manual and have done what i can with the tools i have.

thanks for any help
tom

Old 10-04-2012, 09:01 AM
DodgeTh1s1
Rookie

if your fuel line connection is the same as mine its just a clip that you take off then you slide the fuel line up, no tools need except maybe some pliers of some sort

Old 10-04-2012, 09:14 AM
bunker
Professional
Default fuel line

im pretty sure im getting gas, i pushed the little valve and gas came out. tried getting the line off clip came off fine but the line wouldnt pull out. but pretty sure its getting fuel. ieven tried either and nota.thanks

Old 10-04-2012, 09:30 AM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bunker
im pretty sure im getting gas, i pushed the little valve and gas came out. tried getting the line off clip came off fine but the line wouldnt pull out. but pretty sure its getting fuel. ieven tried either and nota.thanks

There is a BIG difference between fuel getting to the throttle body and getting there with enough pressure. Pressure is the key and if the pump is failing, you'll still get fuel...just not at the right pressure.

Most chain stores have free rental programs and you can call around to see if anyone rents a fuel pressure gauge for your make and model.

Either way, fuel pressure needs to be checked.

Next, most chain stores have a cheap and easy tool for checking spark. It simply slides onto a spark plug like a typical boot and you put the actual plug wire on the end of the tool. It becomes a bridge of sorts, and when you turn try to start you can see, visually, if there is spark. Use this tool to verify you have spark at every plug.

Neither of these may solve the actual issue but they will rule out fuel pump and ignition components.

Other issues might be more easily found if those two things...fuel and spark, are double checked and ruled out.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:27 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Pressure testers are pretty cheap. And it will screw right on to where you have been "pushing the little valve" . No need to remove the fuel line. Which btw requires a special tool that costs around 2 dollars.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:44 PM
peshewa
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, does the engine turn over at all? Is there oil on the dipstick? Is there water on it also? Any loose battery, starter, alternator or ground connections? If all those things are good & there are no codes to read, I would suspect the PCM or the ignition coil. The crank sensor can be part of this problem also. One reason that sensors & coils can be hard to diagnose correctly, is that they are sensitive electronics mounted in an epoxy filled case. When it is all cool, any crack in the epoxy shrinks allowing solid-ish electrical connections, but when it gets warm & any crack in the epoxy expands, the connection is broken. These cracks can be too small for the naked eye to see, or deeper that the surface layer also.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:15 PM
bunker
Professional
Default 99 ram

sooper true on the pressure, ill go rent that but i think i got a fuel pressure tester arounf but not shure the fitting is right,and i have the spark tester forgot i had all that stuff from the days of old.and im still looking for the crank sensor in the service manual..

peshewa.... yes im getting power from battery to the PCM,i also tested the ralays ASD and fuel pump all ok. havnt checked if its getting 12v out from PCM but im guessing it is because i am getting some fire to plug #2 remember i was on side of a major hightway doing this so it was fast with the volt meter and a screw driver on the plug wire.engine turns over as normal,starter engages as far as the crank sensor my service manual has nothing on it as far as i can see. i have good grounds on everything being a radio hobby guy i am grounded better than a tv station lol..is there a way to know its the crank sensor? i wish i had a way to check codes other than spend 300 bucks or tow my truck to the local parts store and that would cost me another 200 becasue we have a law here that says you cant tow another vech with anything other than a tow truck :/

i have no idea what half of these sensors are on the engoing and the service manual doesnt tell me at least i cant find it.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:24 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The crank sensor is behind the passenger side head , by the tranny dipstick tube, and goes through the bell housing. You'll need a mirror to actually see it.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:12 PM
bunker
Professional
Default ill look

hey zman thanks ill look sunday.man what happend to carbs and vacum advance distributors lol

after a closer inspection tonight i find 2 small cracks on the underside of the coil. not sure what to think but i dont think thats my problem being i do get fire to plugs and when i try to crank it nothing happens no back fire just turns over normal

the search goes on

Last edited by bunker; 10-05-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:51 PM
bunker
Professional
Default reading coeds bia dash lights

Being i cannot aford to buy or rent a hand held scanner a freind of mine told me he does something with turnning on and off his ignition but he has a chevy, and i read on df where somebody did it with a 94 ram, i tried if but get no blinking engine lites. is there some kind of jumper you have to put somewhere? how far do you turn the key? there is 2 positons forward and 1 reverse as far as i can tell on my truck. then i read where on a 99 you have to push the trip/od botton reset as you turn on the key, i did that and all it did was a check on the dash gauges totaly cornfuzed now someone told me to hang a a dried chicken foot from my mirror. hm

Last edited by bunker; 10-08-2012 at 09:06 PM.

Quick Reply: another dead ram