2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001Ram1500 & 2002Durango engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 11:24 PM
BlackieLawless
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Last post didn't get posted so i'll try again

SUCCESS! I dropped the tranny pan and changed out the sensor, realized if I didn't also change out the solenoid, I could be doing the same thing all over again. F that! Luckily NAPA had it in stock & I picked it up along w/ a new oil filter to boot. Got it put together, filled tranny oil back up, disconnected the battery, & the damn CEL was still on. I let it sit & idle a bit then took it for a short drive. Everything seemed to be working OK but the light was still on. I tried disconnecting the battery again & this time I turned the ignition key over thinking it was like the HP Laptop I just spent hours w/ a tech on the phone to learn all the idiotic tricks they build into their PC's. I doubt that was it, but when I hooked the battery back up, the CEL was gone & it was running fine. Thanks to everyone’s help & whoever posted the awesome pdf file of the 01 manual!
If I could change gears just a bit, I am thinking taken a new job that is going to double my drive time. I'm considering buying another fuel efficient vehicle just for the gas saving but w/ cost to buy say a '02 Ford Escape w/a 100K on it & not knowing what repairs could pop up, I might be better of getting a superchips programmer for my truck knowing it's in good condition & if something goes wrong, how to fix most things.
So my questions are;
1. What kind of MPG increase can I expect w/a superchips model________ programmer setup? (Or let me know if you recommend different programmer)
2. I've installed a K&N cold air intake system already and just gutted my cat. Are there any other relatively cheap things I can do to increase my mpg?
3. Of course I will be changing my 35" Niito Mud Grapplers for a set of 31" AT tires, but with the 3" lift in, I gotta believe I will be getting more wind resistance but I can't imagine it can make that much differance, right? With this thought, I got a great deal on a matching ARE black hard tonua cover that should help with that as well, right?

Please make any suggestion you can think of. I got to make a decision on the job this week and I value any input I can get.

PS, I got my Hughes Plenum kit today. Maybe if I put it in w/a new set of wires, plugs, rotor and cap it might also help my mpg or hold of on the plenum until I have a problem? What do you think?

Old 10-10-2012, 11:35 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

Tacle it before starting your nee job. If you are going to be driving that much then it will help. The full tune up will net you best mpg gain, also using some type of ethanol treatment for the gas such as startron starbright.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:39 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by QuadCabLuv
Tacle it before starting your nee job. If you are going to be driving that much then it will help. The full tune up will net you best mpg gain, also using some type of ethanol treatment for the gas such as startron starbright.
That stuff really works! I usually see around 1-2mpgs better when I use it. Sometimes a squeak more if I'm on the interstate...

Old 10-11-2012, 07:58 AM
BlackieLawless
Rookie
Default Lucas fuel treatment

Originally Posted by stewie01
That stuff really works! I usually see around 1-2mpgs better when I use it. Sometimes a squeak more if I'm on the interstate...
I have been added the Lucae fuel treatment to my fill-ups now for the past 6 mounth after Advance mis-marked the 5 fill-up bottler w/ the sale price of the single fill-up one @ $4.99. I emptied the shelf. lol I assume this falls into the same catagory your refering to, right?

Old 10-11-2012, 09:53 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackieLawless
I have been added the Lucae fuel treatment to my fill-ups now for the past 6 mounth after Advance mis-marked the 5 fill-up bottler w/ the sale price of the single fill-up one @ $4.99. I emptied the shelf. lol I assume this falls into the same catagory your refering to, right?
Not sure if it is or not. You can find StarTron in the Marine section of Sporting Goods in Wal-Mart, as well as most other places.

Quick Reply: 2001Ram1500 & 2002Durango engine swap