2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001Ram1500 & 2002Durango engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 04:17 PM
BlackieLawless
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001Ram1500 & 2002Durango engine swap

Hi all! So I'm thinking of buying a 2002 Durango w/a 5.9 engine to drive thru the winter while I fix up the body of my 01 ram w/a 5.2 in it. Come spring time I am thinking of swaping the engines so the Darango will be my daily driver and the ram will become my mudder beast. Gotta believe if they are both Magnum engines, it shouldn't be a big deal. I might have a drive shaft length issue but I'm a inexperianced gearhead looking to gain any insights that the more seasoned guys can afford me. So PLEASE, any insights would be greatlly appreciated. Thanks to all. (I love this forum for this kind of info!)

Old 10-05-2012, 04:28 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are talking about swapping the 5.9 into the Ram and 5.2 into the Durango I wouldn't bother with it.

I don't see enough difference between the two to justify that kind of work. There isn't much HP/Torque difference between the two. Gas mileage will probably be the same.

If you want a mud beast just build up the 5.2, I'll bet you'd be happier in the long run...

Old 10-05-2012, 04:53 PM
BlackieLawless
Rookie
Default Thats a surprise response Stewie!

Every post I've read recommended swapping the 318 for the 360 if you really want to make a real HP difference. I was thinking of takin the 5.2 out anyway to rebuild it along with the tranny. I think the engine is in good shape w/ only 91K on it but I notice the shift from 2nd to 3rd once in awhile slips and over revs a bit (not 2 often though). SIDE NOTE: Twice now, I have started it up & the check engine light comes on, there's a lack of power, and it jumps when I shift out of R to D. I was thinkin it's a tell tale sign my plenum is going bad. After it sits for a bit I start it up again w/o an issue though. Only happend twice about 3 wk.s apart. Would gutting my cat. conv. help w/ that in any way? I put a flowmaster super 50 cat back dual on about 3 months ago. Does that have any bearing on the cat. now getting more flow and maybe more apt to load up w/ crap? IDK

Old 10-05-2012, 06:28 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackieLawless
Every post I've read recommended swapping the 318 for the 360 if you really want to make a real HP difference. I was thinking of takin the 5.2 out anyway to rebuild it along with the tranny. I think the engine is in good shape w/ only 91K on it but I notice the shift from 2nd to 3rd once in awhile slips and over revs a bit (not 2 often though). SIDE NOTE: Twice now, I have started it up & the check engine light comes on, there's a lack of power, and it jumps when I shift out of R to D. I was thinkin it's a tell tale sign my plenum is going bad. After it sits for a bit I start it up again w/o an issue though. Only happend twice about 3 wk.s apart. Would gutting my cat. conv. help w/ that in any way? I put a flowmaster super 50 cat back dual on about 3 months ago. Does that have any bearing on the cat. now getting more flow and maybe more apt to load up w/ crap? IDK

If the plenum is blown then the cat is most likely no good either. Gutting the cat and replacing the o2's will of course help. But you are not fixing the reason they are bad. And the o2's will be ruined in short order.

Fix those probs first and the tranny prob might go away. If not, then you have tranny issues too.

Last edited by zman17; 10-05-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:47 PM
BlackieLawless
Rookie
Default thanks zman

Just got back from looking at the 02 Durango. What a waste of time! I put it in 4WL HI and the entire front end was kicking & jumping w/ the slightest turn along w/ what sounding like a the hub assemblies c raking in half with every wheel rotation. The steering was so stiff and snapped back to center w/o both hands on the wheel. Oh well, I think I'll invest some time a little money in my 96 ram thats been idle for about a year. Replace some brake lines, shoes, maybe drums if I have too. The bitch I believe is replacing the heater core so I can drive it though the winter and not freeze to death. Then tear down the 01, get the tranny rebuilt, install a Hughes plenum, install the 4.56 gear sets (already bought the rear), might go for headers while I got it torn apart, and any thing else I can afford or have the time to do while not forgetting to repair the body.

If anyone has any weekend mods they would recommend, I'm all ears.

It looks like I'm going to stick w/ the 5.2 magnum and get the most I can out of it. I don't need to over pay for somebody else's hidden problems. I just hope I can get the 96 driveable before I have more issues w/ the 01. Prob. gut the cat. & do the non fouler trick & then start on the 96 this weekend. Unless of course the Mopar fairy drops a 2012 ram in the driveway. (I don't want a 2013 from what I read about it.)

Old 10-05-2012, 09:01 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is not a suggestion as it's against Federal Law (who cares) but my catalytic converter was clogged from a blown plenum, so I (finally) cut the damn thing out. Straight pipe to the muffler.

If you must pass an emissions test where you are I would go with a MagnaFlow High Flow Cat, I think they're fairly cheap... http://www.jegs.com/p/Magnaflow/Magn...50982/10002/-1

After the plenum is fixed replace the O2 sensors and get an SCT Tune from HemiFever, it will help wake up your Magnum.

Also a new timing chain, double roller, would be a nice upgrade too, as the stock chain is probably well stretched by now.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:03 PM
dlyter09
Champion

Didnt test the 4x4 on pavement did you?

Old 10-06-2012, 04:07 PM
BlackieLawless
Rookie

I should stop posting on this forum. Last time I started a new thread I ended up hittinga gaurdrail that night on the way home from work & this time My plenum crapped the bed. Last night the light came on & I drove it home, Today I had Advance check the code & it a P1762 "Govenor pressure sensor - low voltage" replacement of the pressure sensor is a recommended fix but also states it could be the down stream oxygen sensor. I disconnected the battery to clear the code to see if it would make any difference, the chk eng light went out but it still ran like 1/2 power until a 1/4 mi. from home it could barelly get enough power to coast me home.

So lay it on me guys, I shoulda replaced the plenum before this happened, I know, I know.....but I also have some serious chronic pain so its not always easy to get the will power to do much at times. If anyone out there can recommend all the parts I need to buy Hughes plenum gasket, lower o2 sensor, sealant, spark plug non-fouler help kit #-------, specifics like that. I will borrow my neihbors truck and get my but down to advance auto & pick it all up now & plan on taken a bunch of Vicodins and Aderrals (lol) until the job is done. I might get some brake line & comperssion fitting too and if I dont get the 01 fixed in time maybe I can get ther '96 road worthy w/o any heat for now.

Oh yea, and the Durango 4x4 test was on dirt by the way.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:11 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You can get the plenum plate on ebay cheaper than the Hughes. Both are great products.

And stop the whining, I swapped the plenum plate from my 98 to my 2000 with literally one leg, while doing chemo for 5 days every 3 weeks. LOL Hey, don't get me wrong, I feel your pain brother.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:15 AM
BlackieLawless
Rookie
Default Damn zman, u put my pain into perspective for me. Thx

Ah, I already pulled the trigger at Hughes & the kit looks pretty awesome for the price I thought & I been in machining for over 25 yr.s. I'm thinkin of pulling all the crap apart tommorow & might have to install the gasket sensors and gut the cat now just so I got wheels. IDK, might just car pool for a few, yeah that sounds like a better idea. Thanks guys, found the end all plenum thread - very cool.

Quick Reply: 2001Ram1500 & 2002Durango engine swap