2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Safest way to remove stock Manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 09:30 PM
Xxaler
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safest way to remove stock Manifolds

Just picked up a RAM for my new DD. 1998, 170,000km, 5.9L 4x4 extended cab.

Has a good exhaust leak both sides, and I have some Gibson headers, bolts and gaskets from my Dakota that will drop right in. The problem, the studs and bolts in there right now look like they're factory. Been spraying with PB blaster a few times already, but what is the best method for someone without a torch to remove them? I don't care if the fasteners are ruined, I have all the hardware new for the headers.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:34 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What I like to do is when you've driven the truck for a little while, keep spraying them down with WD40 so that the heat can aid in wicking the lubricant.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:48 PM
Xxaler
Professional

So, just heat and cool spraying in penetrating fluid and hope it works it's way in? What about the heads of the studs/bolts being rotted to no longer being recognizable?

Old 10-08-2012, 12:57 AM
93grandzj
Professional

my buddy said double nut the stud. tighten them together, and back out stud(with the inner nut forcing the tension on outer nut), pulling against the stud. i just did my pace setters shorties and the studs on driver side cut 1/2 inch off to get flange to seat against block b/c tube stuck on stud. Do you have to remove studs to do the headers. b/c i ask that, mine used old studs and nut and washer. with 4 new bolts on each front and back tube flange.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:26 AM
Countryboy_4_life
Rookie

When I did the headers on my '99 I sprayed the bolts and studs with Seafoam Deep Creep a couple times a day for a few days. Sprayed them down before I went some where and sprayed them when I got back. Go easy when backing them out, if you snap one its a pain to get in there with an extractor to get the broken stud out.

Just a helpfull suggestion, take the front inner fender liners out to give you a couple extra angles to get at the header bolts.

Quick Reply: Safest way to remove stock Manifolds