2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake light on instrumeant panel

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 10:11 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake light on instrumeant panel

My truck is a 95 so its obd1 but in the past I noticed the brake light on the dash would come on then go away.Lately it comes on&stays on brake pads seem fine.As you may know from my other posts truck has been shaking.I have no idea whats up with the light or what to check?

Old 10-07-2012, 10:45 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

check brake fluid level.
check for proper parking brake adjustment.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:50 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

fluid is fine the parking brake is fine, not sure how to check it for proper adjustment

Old 10-08-2012, 07:21 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

when the parking brake is set, the red BRAKE light comes on. i don't know where that switch is, but if the parking brake is too tight, the light will come on/stay on.

adjust it so that it locks up at the bottom of its travel.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:12 PM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
when the parking brake is set, the red BRAKE light comes on. i don't know where that switch is, but if the parking brake is too tight, the light will come on/stay on.

adjust it so that it locks up at the bottom of its travel.

The brake light switch from E-brake operation is on the E-brake pedal itself similar to the brake pedal switch for the rear lights.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:28 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

Ok so pretty much its something to do with the e brake then?

Old 10-08-2012, 12:36 PM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cutthroatxxx
Ok so pretty much its something to do with the e brake then?

Possibly. Just make sure the E-brake pedal isn't engaged a tiny bit. Even just slightly pushed down...not even to where the E-brake would engage...and the light will come on.

Pull the release handle above the E-brake pedal, and while pulling the handle, pull up on the pedal with your hand just to make sure it's all the way up. Maybe it's something that simple.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:12 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by cutthroatxxx
fluid is fine the parking brake is fine, not sure how to check it for proper adjustment

Never got that Haynes manual huh? And for the hell of it, check for codes. http://dodgeram.info/Engine-Gas/OBDI/pcm_fault_code.htm

Old 10-10-2012, 02:37 AM
dondons1984

I had a similar issue and dodge told me that it could be the abs sensor in the rear differential. the other it could be is tgat your calipers are locking up. hard to really say. I would check to make sure your calipers are good and also make sure your e brake cord is not stretched thin or possibly catching. lots can go wrong but if you get a 950 or 999 then it would be your wiring harness under your steering wheel in the cab that has come loose over time.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:52 AM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Sooper
Possibly. Just make sure the E-brake pedal isn't engaged a tiny bit. Even just slightly pushed down...not even to where the E-brake would engage...and the light will come on.

Pull the release handle above the E-brake pedal, and while pulling the handle, pull up on the pedal with your hand just to make sure it's all the way up. Maybe it's something that simple.
I had that same problem after pushing my ebrake down too hard. Either messes up the parking brake assembly or bent the sensor. I had to pull the pedal up while pulling the release...got so annoying I ended up unplugging the sensor to get the light to stay off.

Quick Reply: Brake light on instrumeant panel