2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trans Fluid moving around

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 09:20 AM
Ballfroguy
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trans Fluid moving around

So I did a fluid change on my 46re and had it filled perfectly right between the margins. I let it idle, took it in and out of gears, let it idle for another couple of mins and had the fluid hot to the touch. I filled it up very slowly to make sure I didnt over fill it. Drove maybe 5 miles and checked the fluid and was still right where I left it. I drove home from work and it was in stop and go traffic for about 20 miles total, got near my house and pulled over to check the fluid and shows for it to be way overfilled. The fluid feels much more warm this time which makes sense considering the stop and go traffic but what should I do? Leave it?

Old 10-10-2012, 10:48 AM
Sooper
Captain

After regular driving and after the transmission is at operating temp, read the level and drain enough to get it to the 'fill' line.

Drive regularly every day, checking and making note of the fluid level. Don't ever check or rely on the fluid level reading if the transmission is not up to full operating temp. Even in TX, it takes 15 - 20 minutes of fluid circulation and heat buildup for it to reach the proper temp.

If after a few days it's still at 'full' then you're fine. If it's dropped a little bit again, add, and keep checking and looking for patterns based on distances and such.

BTW - Being a tad over full isn't a huge issue if the fluid isn't foaming or leaking out.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:59 AM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You are checking the level with it running and in neutral not park, correct?

Old 10-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Ballfroguy
Rookie

Yeah in neutral, I also noticed before I did the change it was a bit overfilled and it was coming out of the weep hole and now its not doing that anymore. Deff no foam or anything and I did let it idle for the longest time while filling. I was thinking of slowly loosing it up the cooler lines and draining some atf out. Will see where it goes.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Ballfroguy
Rookie

Alight so I drained some out, just north of 1/3 of a pint to be exact. The fluid temp is about 100-125 so not too hot. Now its just over the "OK" margin so its still within spec. I have to go do some stuff so Ill be driving around town in some more stop and go traffic. Ill stop and check then. I would be ok with a lil over full, but after some driving it was all the way up to the bend, which I am no comfortable with. Hopefully it stays with in margin at higher operating temps.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:14 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It will read higher at higher temp. If it is not foaming or running out the weep hole, no damage. But stop and go traffic, it is not unusual to see temp from 140 to 160 degrees.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:07 PM
Ballfroguy
Rookie

Alright, so I drove a total of 70 miles today in highway and stop and go traffic. The fluid was pretty hot, probly where it should be and the level was exactly in the middle I probably checked it 3 times total. So I guess if my advice is when you do your fluid change, only fill it to the bottom of the "ok" margin. When the temp goes after alot of driving it will stay in the margin and no worries in over filling.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:54 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The weep hole is about 7 inches above the full mark on the stick. I would run it to the full or Max mark.

Quick Reply: Trans Fluid moving around