2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine Misfire - Immediately Upon Warmup

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 02:02 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChaseMerola
Nope I did not know that was required *shrug*

What effect would that have? Cause it to short curcuit?
Supposed to reset the PCM, clear out old values and give it a chance to "relearn". Not sure that missing that step wouldn't stop the misfiring if changing the O2 sensor was gonna do the trick.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:38 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Autozone carries Denso (I use them in several of my vehicles...). Reset PCM as described. Also, check IAC and TPS. Manual to download in FAQ/DIY section here on DF. It will tell you how to check these.

Also (and hoping the answer is NO) did you turn the distributor while you were working on this? Is the gasket good between intake and TB?

Old 10-23-2012, 03:17 PM
ChaseMerola
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iac and tps are good, i unhooked the egr valve hose with no change, i will reset the pcm in a couple house when i get off work. Also tb gasket is good just put new one on when did plenum and it was missing bad before that. Also i highly doupt i moved the distrubutor shaft when i put the new cap & rotor on.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:19 PM
ChaseMerola
Amateur

+ a baf o2 shouldnt make it miss no? Only run rich and foul plugs faster. Please Correct me if i am wrong

Old 10-23-2012, 03:41 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know you tested the injectors, and I may be way off base, but you could swap an injector from a misfiring cylinder and a non misfiring cylinder and see if the misfire changes cylinders or not.

How's the coil?

Old 10-23-2012, 04:17 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ChaseMerola
+ a baf o2 shouldnt make it miss no? Only run rich and foul plugs faster. Please Correct me if i am wrong
A failing oxygen sensor will typically make the engine run lean. It's an unplugged sensor that will make it run rich.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:51 PM
ChaseMerola
Amateur

Ah thanks for that info didnt know that!

Stewie - its obd1 and ut will not tell me which cylinder, man i wish it would that way I would know if its random or if its only certain cylinders

As for my coil it's good; my old pickup coil did the same thing and this 1 is brand new so cant be that. Unfortunately..

PS thank you guys for so much help let's keep this thing going! There are too many other people with a problem that is close to this and they give up and get a used motor or swap to a 4bt. Or... sell. But I want to get this figured out + help other people too. I know we will but i just need other dodge goers to come together and colaberate with me. Good start to far, lets keep this up. Thanks again!!

Old 10-25-2012, 03:02 AM
ReadRam
All Star

I had bad coil out of the box from nopa. Misfiring and pinging got progressivly worse over few month period. Was kinda random.

Quick Reply: Engine Misfire - Immediately Upon Warmup