2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

airbag problems! please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 04:30 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm not 100% positive, but if the problem is fixed, then removing the negative battery and turning on the headlights for a couple minute's, then turning them off and reconnecting the battery cable doesn't reset it and turn the light off , then I'd say the problem is not fixed.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:33 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

You don't need to reset Airbag codes. If the code goes from active to stored (if the problem is fixed) the light will go off. There isn't a delay or waiting period for "good trips" like on the engine controller. If the light is still on, then you have an active code. They should have printed the codes on the repair order slip if you paid a diag fee. Post them up here.

Originally Posted by miked93
I looked at the clock-spring fist because i know these are an issue and it turned out there was power going in but not coming out.
The airbag isn't powered unless it is being deployed.....the module reads a resistance value on the squib circuit.
Please be careful messing with this. I can assure you they don't feel good going off in your face.

Last edited by TNtech; 10-23-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:40 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TNtech
.......Please be careful messing with this. I can assure you they don't feel good going off in your face.

Why do I suspect there is a story here?

Old 10-23-2012, 11:56 PM
miked93
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay thank you for all the information. looks like the next step will be getting the codes read.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:10 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by miked93
okay thank you for all the information. looks like the next step will be getting the codes read.
Yeah, it may be a different code than what the dealer saw now since you've had it apart. The parts stores probably won't have the scanners for it.

Originally Posted by gdstock
Why do I suspect there is a story here?
...so i've heard..... (<:

No faceplants here yet. Saw a few people get nailed good though just a few feet away. One of them was EVERY airbag in the van, even curtains and active headrests...now that was some funny chit...afterwards anyway. NEVER flip an airbag module over with the battery hooked up. It thinks the car is rolling over and takes appropriate action!

Ok one more. Don't use a Makita 18V to put the floor shifter bolts back in a Sebring conv. It tends to vibrate the airbag module that is just 6 inches away...lol.

Last edited by TNtech; 10-24-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:31 PM
miked93
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys, problem is finally fixed! In case anyone was wondering what the problem was after i had the codes read there was still a short to ground code. Well the airbag system has shorting pins on every connector to prevent accidental deployment and the connector from the factory harness to the clock spring was messed up and the shorting pins were not disconnected after it was plugged in. So finally after all this time and having my interior taken out so many timesmthe light finally gone!

Quick Reply: airbag problems! please help