2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

odd lurching/chugging take off

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012 | 08:27 PM
Lobo88
|
Amateur
Default odd lurching/chugging take off

first off sorry if there is already a thread on this ( i didnt see one that was similar).

i have a 2000 Ram 1500 with the 5.9L v8.

Im curious as to why when i have my vehicle at a complete stop that when i put it in drive/reverse (does it in both no difference) and let off the brake that it kinda lopes forward. after i press the gas pedal it doesnt do it at all. it seems to drive fine while going down the road.

I have already replaced output shaft speed sensor, cap/rotor/wires/plugs, TPS, and have done the hughes plenum kit. i currently have my o2 sensor unplugged but it didnt make a difference plugged in or not. My next plan of attack is the MAP sensor.

any suggestions would be helpful.

Old 10-31-2012 | 09:38 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

map sensors almost never go bad. replacing it is probably a waste of money. (and expensive).

Old 10-31-2012 | 10:43 PM
Lobo88
|
Amateur

yes but i suspect that its either never been replaced or its been quite awhile. and it has 200k miles to boot.

Old 11-01-2012 | 02:52 AM
ReadRam
All Star

I have the same issue and replaced all sensors hoping this time it'll fix problem. Even had high MAP input CEL, Got a hundred dollar dealer MAP and no difference. Do you get the lope motion if put it in neutral as coming to a stop? And is it worse when first start truck, like first five minutes of warming up? Mine started doing this immediately after rear end work. Just living with it . Hope you or someone here can figure it out.

Old 11-01-2012 | 12:21 PM
Lobo88
|
Amateur

i havent tried putting it in neutral yet. and it doesnt change cold or wamed up. it only does it when i let it coast on its own from a dead stop.

Old 11-01-2012 | 02:27 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Try cleaning the IAC for the hell of it. And disconnect the negative battery cable before doing so, as you should with replacing or cleaning ANY sensors, so the PCM can relearn the new part you installed or cleaned. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...n-the-iac.html

Old 11-02-2012 | 10:28 PM
ReadRam
All Star

Originally Posted by Lobo88
i havent tried putting it in neutral yet. and it doesnt change cold or wamed up. it only does it when i let it coast on its own from a dead stop.
Lobo88, do you get the motion you described when coming to a stop also? I did clean and eventually replaced IAC. That was the one I really thought was going to make a difference, as the only time it happens is when throttle plates are closed. Have you considered a warped or dragging rear brake drum? When I take my foot off the brake the front of truck has a motion that's more up and down, almost like a warped rotor pulse, but it doesn't do if in neutral.

Old 11-03-2012 | 02:59 AM
Lobo88
|
Amateur

it does do it when i come to a stop. idk why i didnt think of the rotor before. ill check it once the snow melts lol

Old 11-04-2012 | 10:10 PM
Cali7312
Rookie

Agree with Zman17, try cleaning the IAC and throttle body, alot of gunk can collect.

My truck did the same thing and got terribly bad. but after one full day of tuning, it stopped, can't tell you 100% what fixed it but I can give ideas.

Here's what I did on one beautiful saturday; Changed Cap & Rotor, Plugs and wires, oil change, seafoamed, cleaned throttlebody and IAC and also replaced the TPS. Runs so smooth. No more chugging or ubrupt jump forwards at a complete stop.

Good Luck, there are many forums over this so keep looking for more help.

Old 11-05-2012 | 07:30 PM
Lobo88
|
Amateur

cleaned the iac and throttle boddy earlier today. seems a hell of a lot better. didnt notice the lurch. cap, rotors, plugs, wires and oil change i did about two weeks ago when i installed the hughes plenum kit. and i replaced the tps about 3 weeks ago. it was the IAC and throttle body being dirty. also seafoamed so that may have helped also.