2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

finally a cure for the annoying abs/brake lights!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 06:14 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default finally a cure for the annoying abs/brake lights!

after a couple years of staring at thoes dang lights i finally sat down with the schmatics and went to studying...

as most of you probably know, the bulb for the abs can simply be removed, but the brake light is another story, i pulled the dash out and completly apart and found the curcit for the brake led, by breaking the small circut on the printed board in a very specific location, the brake light is now out and still works normally with park/emergency brake, however this is only for the 98-02, i could probably figure out the 94-97's if needed

i forgot to take pics but if anyone is interested in doing this, i have a spare dash at the shop and will try to get some up, unless someone has one handy they can post,

i did this because of the cummins swap, when i changed the pcm out, the lights were on ever since, my abs motor is also out, and because of a couple accidental drives with the e-brake set instead of spending the money trying to figure out all the programming gremlins, and other issues, this was my best option, usually you should fix your abs right but for some of us it is hopeless

Last edited by dodgetrucker75; 11-01-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:17 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So is this an actual fix for the ABS/brake light problem or is this just a "how to" for a band aid fix to turn off the lights ?

Old 11-01-2012, 09:34 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a band-aid fix...

Old 11-02-2012, 12:46 AM
NCC74656
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am digging into this with my mechanic on my 2500 ram. ive thrown 160 at it so far to replace the solenoids on the pump. i have not installed them yet but we believe this to be the issue. when i find out whats causing both lights to be on ill post it on here

Old 11-02-2012, 08:01 AM
lone wolf #2

I have a similar problem with my 98 sport, the lights would come on randomly but now are on steady and now the speedo does'nt work below 20mph. Does anyone know if these could be tied together, or am I dealing with two seperate issues?

Old 11-02-2012, 11:02 AM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by J415
So is this an actual fix for the ABS/brake light problem or is this just a "how to" for a band aid fix to turn off the lights ?
no its not an actual fix, it just stops the abs system from turning on the light, as my system is beond repair

Originally Posted by lone wolf #2
I have a similar problem with my 98 sport, the lights would come on randomly but now are on steady and now the speedo does'nt work below 20mph. Does anyone know if these could be tied together, or am I dealing with two seperate issues?
just pull the sensor located on the top of the rear axle housing and clean it, if that doesnt do it, replace the sensor and it should cure your problem

Old 10-22-2013, 09:04 AM
lone wolf #2

Okay, I know this is an old thread but I still have a problem. I replaced the sensor in the rear end and checked the fuse but i am stil getting the abs/brake lights coming on on the dash randomly. Does anyone have any other advice?

Old 10-22-2013, 09:34 AM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

If you have 4 wheel abs check your wheel bearings for looseness. Also take a look at your brake fluid level, if it's dropped any you probably have a leak in a line.

Quick Reply: finally a cure for the annoying abs/brake lights!