2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

water trouble

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 08:34 PM
jconlin
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water trouble

so i was going down the road the other day and hit a puddle pretty hard because i didnt see it in time to slow down and about five seconds later truck sputtered out and died, i know something got wet but the cap is tucked way back behind the plenum and thats the only thing i cant think of that shouldnt get wet any insight? i would like to try to fix this so it does not happen again

Old 11-05-2012, 08:52 PM
Ramzy
Veteran

Cap or the connectors on the PCM are the only thing I can think of due to past experience. I would dry out PCM connectors and use some dielectric grease. It happened to me.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:29 AM
It's Me Patt
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless the cap was loose that shouldn't happen from a puddle unless it was like 10' deep. But likely wires. Like Ramzy said dielectric grease on whatever accepts it and stay out the puddles eh..It used to always happen to my old dodge work van even if it was like 6" deep. It would dry in several hours tho..

Old 11-06-2012, 10:27 PM
jconlin
Professional

mine started and ran real rough after about 15 seconds of cranking exhaust sounded like a misfire, i plan on changing cap rotor wires and plugs soon so ill get some electric grease and dab up all the connections

Old 11-07-2012, 12:27 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you don't find the problem, place an electric fan in/around/under the engine bay and blow air around to try and dry it out.

dielectric grease in each/every electrical connector will help.

Quick Reply: water trouble