2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Female here alone - questions abt my dodge truck!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 02:57 PM
dlenz84
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Female here alone - questions abt my dodge truck!!!!

I just bought my 01 dodge 2500 5.9L gas a mth ago... have already replaced the fuel pump, intake gasket, air idle valve and have been using injector cleaner since my truck was misfiring a little bit. It has been shiftin a little hard but not drastic.. but my truck did sit for 2yrs before i purchased it so i was told my injectors could just have some corrosion on them so... as for the shifting... do you think i just need to put some lucas stop slip on it... or am i able to change my tranny filter/fluid... it has 162,000 mi on it already... let me know... Im being told diff things!!! Help

Old 11-09-2012, 04:06 PM
we_the_unforgiven
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your 01 will be a 2nd gen pickup. Maybe an admin will get your post over to the right section.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:19 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Moved to 2nd generation Welcome to DF!

Old 11-09-2012, 05:42 PM
Nereaga
Captain

Welcome to DF!

Best bet is to check fluid level in trans and see if it smells burnt after a drive, check while in nutreal after warmed up trans. Then next step would be to drop the pan and see what you find. See how much gunk is built up on the govenor seloniod and the trans filter and check for metal shavings on magnet on bottom of pan. Clean it all up and replace filter.

My truck shifted hard right before my check engine light came on for the trans shaft output sensor, on tail end of trans. Changed it out, turns out tip of old sensor was dirty,made a big difference in shift points and smoothness. Was a $30 sensor from dealer. Just saying...

Remove your first o2 sensor and see if the truck runs better? Might be a clogged cat bogging ya down. Could be the gas sitting in lines and tank for 2 years?

Old 11-09-2012, 08:38 PM
ReadRam
All Star

Shift points can be adjusted with throttle valve cable, quicker firmer , later smoother..etc. You may want to have transmission shop pull the pan to inspect and if it's slipping they may be able to adjust the bands at the same time. I wouldn't put anything but ATF in.. Skip the slip stop. As for misfiring , do you have any history when plugs, wires, cap and rotor were last replaced? Simple stuff first. My truck started slipping around 160,000 miles. Trans shop adjusted bands.. replaced filter with new fluid and got me another 10,000 miles , then it was time for rebuild.

Last edited by ReadRam; 11-09-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:57 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

Check the plenum sticky and welcome to the forum. Post up some pics of the truck and be sure to read this:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...new-topic.html

You will get some great help on here if you just follow a few simple rules. Your off to a great start. Get the trans serviced, remove the check valve:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ve-delete.html

Old 11-09-2012, 11:16 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

welcome to df. don't put any lucas in it. it'll just make a big mess inside and won't help it any.

service trans: new filter, fluid (atf+4 only). about 6-7 quarts. adjust bands.

if its not shifting when it should - clean or replace govenor pressure sensor and solenoid if its not shifting propely. if it is shifting when it should, then leave these alone.

on the engine - run a compression check to rule out the very bad things. then tune up with plugs, cap, rotor, wires. then see how it runs.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:11 AM
dlenz84

Thanks for all the info! I wouldnt say it shifts hard, it more less hesitates when it goes up to second gear but it eventually does shift where it needs to after that... i dont know if im explaining that right...

Old 11-10-2012, 09:53 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if it doesn't shift up when it should, try easing up on the throttle pressure a little. if it shifts then, its an indication that the throttle valve (TV) cable needs a little adjustment, or you adjust your driving habits to command the shift by easing the trhrottle.

if it doesn't shift up even with some throttle ease, then try using the shift lever for manual control. start off in 1st, manually shift up to 2nd when you want, then 3rd. IF IF IF it does exactly what you tell it to do, when you tell it.... its an indication that its mechanically sound, and you should replace (or maybe clean) the governor pressure sensor and solenoid thingy with the Borg Warner. the stock one is crappy and its about the only thing inside that transmission that you can replace without pulling the valve body and/or removing and diving "all in".

some will recommend disconnecting the electrical connector for the manual shift test, but i don't think? thats important. I think the 1-2 and 2-3 shift are hydraulically controlled and only the last 2 shifts are electrically controlled. the last 2 depend on software version in the pcm. one version is 3-TC Lock, then TC-Overdrive. the other version is 3-OD, then OD-TC Lock.

this exhausts all i know about transmissions. after that, take it to an expert.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:50 PM
peshewa
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are looking at the engine instead of the tranny, I would try first reading the codes, then get a noid light set to check the injectors then maybe have a leak down test to see where the issues really are. The injectors could have corrosion inside from sitting especially if the truck had ethanol in the tank before being stored. Never use ethanol!

Quick Reply: Female here alone - questions abt my dodge truck!!!!