2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

High Oil Pressure/Tons of oily smoke

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 11:25 AM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bwdakrt, the gasket itself won't cause blocked oil passages, but gunk or a failed gasket can very easily get into the oil galleries and block them. When I took my plenum apart I spent several hours cleaning out gunk to restore oil flow. I also put in some low-grade oil in with a extra high dose of SeaFoam for about 10 hours of running the engine on non-loading tasks, then drained the oil, and after that my oil has stayed very clean.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:12 PM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by mantisman51
It depends on how much stuff he took off. But, what he is describing, I have personally seen twice on rebuilds.
Originally Posted by techningeer
Bwdakrt, the gasket itself won't cause blocked oil passages, but gunk or a failed gasket can very easily get into the oil galleries and block them. When I took my plenum apart I spent several hours cleaning out gunk to restore oil flow. I also put in some low-grade oil in with a extra high dose of SeaFoam for about 10 hours of running the engine on non-loading tasks, then drained the oil, and after that my oil has stayed very clean.
Now I see your meaning...trash in the oil galley. If the OP didn't have an old rag covering the oil galley while scraping off the old gasket then it's a very good possibility. A shop vac makes for a real good cleaner upper.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:14 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Right. I personally don't know if I would want to oil up the inside of my shop vac!

Old 11-22-2012, 12:23 PM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker

Right. I personally don't know if I would want to oil up the inside of my shop vac!
You soak up all the oil in the galley before you place the rag inside the galley and start scraping gasket material. The shop is an extra precaution and very little if any oil will get inside.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:30 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Ok I get it

Old 11-22-2012, 02:03 PM
Colozzus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there all, thanks for the quick responses!!
As it is turkey day, i'm not going to dick with it.

I meant to edit my original post, there isn't any oily smoke, alas it was 4:30 in the morning my time and I was at the point where I was about to roll it off a cliff. I will try re-torquing the manifold tomorrow. In the mean time I have drained the cooling system for fear off hydro-locking the engine.

If I didn't work 10-12 hour days at work I would love to take the time to try everything you have all mentioned.

I will fill you all in tomorrow when I gather the muster to go back under the hood.

P.S. The plenum isn't hard, just take your time, start the project when you have plenty of time to finish, I was in a rush so I suspect that is where part of my problem has originated from. It has taken me about 8 hours spread across two nights...late late nights...

Old 11-22-2012, 02:21 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bwdakrt
Excuse me for maybe sounding dumb but how is it possible to block an oil port with the intake gasket when there are no oil ports on that side of the head? An out of place gasket will cause a coolant leak but will not block oil flow.

No oil through intake. Oil to rockers comes through head form block. I suspect intake gaskets not lined up correctly against heads. Also, bot changing the plenum plate may increase the liklihood of having to do this task again. Did you change timing set at the same time? Would have been anexcellent opportunity.

I agree with NOt running this engine in its current condition. Soing so will necesitate finding another engine!

Old 11-22-2012, 10:25 PM
It's Me Patt
Captain

Ok I get it
K, I envy you! Your tongue must hurt, I don't know how you do it? Anyways, I used mine just without the filter on..icky but not to bad

Old 11-22-2012, 11:09 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Originally Posted by It's Me Patt
K, I envy you! Your tongue must hurt, I don't know how you do it? Anyways, I used mine just without the filter on..icky but not to bad
How do I do what?

Old 11-22-2012, 11:17 PM
It's Me Patt
Captain

How do I do what?
Bite your tongue? I know, you already told me a while back..I just wish I had your tolerence for the ******** You're to nice eh!

Quick Reply: High Oil Pressure/Tons of oily smoke