2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2nd Gen EFI in a 1st Gen

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 08:20 AM
Scooter78
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone running an inline fuel pump? I want to keep my original tank from the 1st gen and I dont feel like adapting a modern pump into it. Looking for suggestions on fuel pump brand/PSI and if you used a fuel pressure regulator with it. As Wombat pointed out: I need to run 39 PSI. Possibly a factory filter/regulator assembly from a '95ish?

Old 02-07-2013, 08:33 AM
renardk764
Veteran

Have you invesigated the Megasquirt EFI controller system? It's a DIY system from board to installing software. Maybe a better fit, although I've just read a bit and haven't attempted it. Looks like lots of support from megasquirt enthusiasts. Of course I may be totally off base.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:41 AM
Scooter78
Captain

I have looked into that, and I may go that route on a different project. I have my wife convinced the Dodge is a budget build and the expensive stuff goes towards my old Mustang. She almost puked a kitten when I mentioned fuel injection for the truck, so I am on the cheap here.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:45 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Need to have a magnum engine, so the intake will bolt to it, wiring harness, PCM, and various other peripherals.... like the trans.... unless you go manual. Having a parts donor truck would be the best route.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:31 AM
Scooter78
Captain

I already have all my donor parts... My first post of this thread shows the scenario.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

With the 94 PCM, it can't be flashed, at least, not without specialized (read as: Expensive) equipment. The PCM will run your 5.2, but, it will be rich while in open loop. Once you get in to closed loop, O2 sensor will take over, and it should run fine.

Not having the auto trans there is going to annoy it though. It will set some trans codes for overdrive, and tcc. If you can find the PCM out of a manual trans truck, it should just plug right in, and solve the problem. I don't think you would need to do much to the harness to make it work right. (if anything at all.... not sure the PCM even cares about the manual trans.....)

Old 02-10-2013, 10:19 AM
Scooter78
Captain

Thanks. I have dug into my 5.9 a bit and I think I have scrapped the idea of EFI-ing the 5.2, and rather swap the complete EFI 5.9. Thus eliminating the rich open loop issue. The PCM is now correct for the motor. Thank you for confirming my suspicions about that.
As for annoying the PCM for not having an auto: I understand it will run fine but throw codes? If that is the only down side, I can deal with that. At least untill I find a different PCM from a manual trans truck.
Any suggestions for an inline fuel pump? I dont want to mod my sending unit because my gas gauge works perfectly. I am currently running an inline for carb. It would be an easy swap to put one in with more psi.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:30 AM
Scooter78
Captain

http://ramchargercentral.com/technic...rucks-journal/ On a semi-related note: I found this last night. By his thread, It would appear that it really only takes about five wires (not including grounds) to fire it up. I will be leaving my grounds hooked up like the factory would have, unlike his wiring of each individually. I also plan on running the ASD Relay as the factory would have, and not bypass as he did for the start up. What do you think?

Old 02-10-2013, 10:51 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Does your truck have the PDC? If not, are you planning on installing one?

It will indeed run just fine, but, it will whine about not seeing RPM drops when it thinks it should. (TCC engage, and 3-4 shift, which it thinks it controls) Not much to be done about that aside from getting a manual trans PCM. (I think the pin-out on them is pretty much the same... you just won't be using some wires.) PCM doesn't really get any inputs from the manual trans, nor does it control anything, so, aside from some creative wiring for the starting circuit, it should be a direct swap.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:49 PM
Scooter78
Captain

The engine and harness did not come with the power distribution center. I have been hounding ebay and the like for one, although now I am leaning towards getting a blade type fuse block and building my own, being as I wont use most of what was on the originals.