2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tire swaping

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 10:04 PM
Nereaga
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=peshewa;2920360]The internal ratios are all different. Would make it a doggy sloth. I advise NEVER to buy another v6 full sized pickup ever. Giant mistake on my part.[/QUOTE\]
Yup, I made that same mistake with my first Ram. Never again...

Old 12-05-2012, 10:11 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new Ram V6 is supposed to be pretty good, I mean, they're stuffing an 8 speed behind it. So it should be promising, right?

Old 12-06-2012, 10:31 AM
OK_Ram
Rookie

Probably an ultra light duty 8 speed made of paper mache that shatters if you stare at it too long. A v6 in any full sized truck is a huge compromise. Any fuel savings the motor offers will be lost in the owners desire to get the truck to drive like they expect it to. There are always exceptions, but they are few and far between. My 5 speed makes my v6 reg cab shortbed truck live able. If I had the auto trans it would have already pushed me to trade it in or sell it.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:35 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Dude, I dunno, this all sounds pretty good.

They're going to be putting the ZF 8 speed behind the Hemi later next year, after the rest of the 2013 Ram stuff is out.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:30 PM
OK_Ram
Rookie

Well I sure hope it is reliable. It is beyond me how they can get so many gears in there and keep all of them getting along. That is exactly why I am not an engineer though lol.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:10 PM
peshewa
Veteran

The new v6 is a multi cam engine. The v6 in mine is a single cam with what seems to be 2 hp. Going thru the flowmaster muffler it sounds like a damned rocket cannon machine gun - kind of funny since it's a guttless wonder. Even funnier, every kid with a rice burner & a fart pipe wants to race me - they always smoke me & twice last year I watched them race right into a speed trap as I used both my hp to slowly mosey on by them. Smiling a bit I admit. The quad cam yamaha v6 I had in a tore-*** SHO years ago had a ton of power - torque monster that nearly scared the crap out of me it was so wicked fast. That v6 in a truck might have a chance, but overall it is futile. I get worse mileage than I did with a gen 1 310 4wd I had 8 years ago. The v6 has to work so hard to get it moving it sucks more fuel than a v8. Want to see something funny? Watch Top Gear UK - a few years ago the had a very fast BMW V6 follow a prius on a test track, not allowed to pass it though. The prius had to run flat out for all it was worth. The prius ended the race with 12 mpg! The bmw got around 25mpg. I think it was because it was not underpowered.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:00 AM
OK_Ram
Rookie

It would be neat if they could take a page from Ford's book and force induce a well built v6 and put that into a half ton. Then you at least have a chance of seeing decent fuel economy on the highway off boost. If we get terrible fuel miliage we should at least be enjoying it.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:03 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Since the new Pentastar already makes decent power, you could drop twins on it, drop a six speed behind it, have 4.10's behind that, lower it and you'd have a pretty slick little hot rod.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:19 AM
h3lzsn1p3r
Captain

Originally Posted by OK_Ram
It would be neat if they could take a page from Ford's book and force induce a well built v6 and put that into a half ton. Then you at least have a chance of seeing decent fuel economy on the highway off boost. If we get terrible fuel miliage we should at least be enjoying it.
the eco boost is garbage so many isues and the fuel milage is the same as the v8 and its 6 mpg towing a light load dont let ford tell u there lies

Quick Reply: tire swaping