2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

engine swap questions 318 to the 360

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 01:45 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Swap the intake manifolds(no worries with sensors that way) and fix the plenum plate while it is off.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:51 AM
Dodge-Noob
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
fix the plenum plate while it is off.
Why whats wrong with them? And how Do I fix it? Like my name says I'm a Dodge Noob.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:26 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodge-Noob
Why whats wrong with them? And how Do I fix it? Like my name says I'm a Dodge Noob.
Read this https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...um-thread.html all 9 million pages of it.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:30 PM
Scooter78
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Long story short on the plenums: They suck. There is a repair that works and even if you dont show signs of needing it, do it anyway. There is a crazy lengthy thread on just that subject, and you should give it a read. Pretty interesting really, and it will tell you everything you could ever want to know about it and then a whole bunch more.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:39 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I disagree ^ in part.

If the owner confidently determines their gasket is intact and has no interest/need to do other upgrades, then I say leave the gasket in place till it does break. At minimum to do the following: cap, rotor, wires, plugs, PCV, water pump, timing chain, and oil pump.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:43 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
I disagree ^ in part.

If the owner confidently determines their gasket is intact and has no interest/need to do other upgrades, then I say leave the gasket in place till it does break. At minimum to do the following: cap, rotor, wires, plugs, PCV, water pump, timing chain, and oil pump.
But if you're doing a motor swap and the plenum is perfect, why continue with the swap only to have to do the plenum repair later once it's in the truck?

Old 12-05-2012, 07:47 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

simply b/c not all of them break....

Plus, there are cases reported here where ppl have replaced the gasket and they still have them fail.

To think once it's fixed = never to break again is false

I believe zman has said he needs to redo his. Not picking on him in any way to be critical.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:52 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
simply b/c not all of them break....

Plus, there are cases reported here where ppl have replaced the gasket and they still have them fail.

To think once it's fixed = never to break again is false

I believe zman has said he needs to redo his. Not picking on him in any way to be critical.
True, some people claim to never have an issue with it. Others have done it twice, I've done it once, and hope to leave it at that.

But if it was me doing a motor swap, knowing what I know, I'd replace it anyway. Hell I was gonna buy a Hughes AirGap, had the mouse on the order button with money on the card, just couldn't bring myself to do it

Zman has mentioned weird oil loss a time or two. Maybe he'll find the cause one day.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:53 AM
Scooter78
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stewie01
But if you're doing a motor swap and the plenum is perfect, why continue with the swap only to have to do the plenum repair later once it's in the truck?
Exactly. If he wasnt swapping engines, I would agree with you in leaving it alone till it fails, but since the engine is out of the truck anyway, I think it would be in his best interest to do it before the install. Cheap insurance IMO. Not a gaurentee that it wont ever fail, but it would help me sleep easier at night if it was my truck.

Quick Reply: engine swap questions 318 to the 360