2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Strange sounds. Now oil everywhere.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 08:36 AM
roadhammer1971
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange sounds. Now oil everywhere.

'97 Ram 1500 4x4 5.9 Auto with 262xxx on it. New transfer case installed @230xxx. Everything else original.All fluids and filters changed reg.last 12 yrs I've owned it. Been a great truck until recently. Couple hundred miles ago noticed a rapid clicking sound coming from trans area when coming to a stop. Weeks later a sound I can only describe as a couple making whoopie on a old worn out bed 'creaking/squeaking' with faster reps as the truck rolls faster.First it only made the sound rolling in reverse,Now it does it rolling forward as well.Put it in nuetral sound goes away,get up to cruising speed light throttle sound goes away. And too top it off last weekened while trying to pin point the sound noticed an Oil slick from the rear of the enginge block to the rear axle.Tranny still shifts fine but the noise seems to get louder lately.As for the oil Rear main I'm guessing.Anyone else experienced this sound? Thanks in advance.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:43 AM
Nereaga
Captain

Have you changed oil recently? Sometimes oil finds it way on the cross member and then leaks down the rear seal housing. Wipe it clean and see if it returns.

Have you checked trans fluid while engine is warm and truck is in neutral? Fluid smell burnt at all?

Is the clicking sound coming from under your seat or front of truck? Could be a u joint going in steering, they click when going bad... Just throwing things out there.

Does it click in 4WD?

Old 12-02-2012, 08:59 AM
roadhammer1971

Pouring 2qrts in it to go back and forth to work.20 miles round trip. Tranny fluid fine,clicking from under the seat.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:25 AM
Nereaga
Captain

Have you tried the 4wd? Just to remove the t case from having issues? Since that is right under your seat...

Old 12-02-2012, 09:32 AM
roadhammer1971

Sorry missed your 4wd question.Will try that,thnx for your responses I really appreciate it Nereaga.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:39 AM
Nereaga
Captain

Yup only reason I ask is because you posted that the t case was replaced 30K ago... Better safe than sorry. Don't try the 4WD on dry pavement!!! Gravel or grass please

Old 12-02-2012, 10:40 AM
mulie4x4
Amateur

My Dakota did the same thing as your truck minus the leak part, it would make that sound while rolling in 1st gear but would go away after that, shifted fine ran great and the sound went away to the point you could hardly hear it unless the window was open, I thought it might be a u-joint and my truck is still under warranty so I took it in to get looked at, I was very surprised to get a call they need to drop my tranny because its something internal was even more surprised when they said the tranny was toast because something internal broke and spread fillings everywhere so they had to order a new tranny from dodge. Check and see if there is anything glittery on your dipstick I really hope your ok but it needs to be checked out, if you going through that much tranny fluid there is a seal or bearing that needs to be looked at. Good luck to you.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:44 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ok, stop driving it...

get some type of degreaser and thoroughly clean the underside of all the oil. i like walmart engine degreaser. other options are strong mix of simple green, 409, or PROPER WEAK mix of TSP. do not use a strong mix of TSP.

after cleaning, determine the source of your leak, and whether the leak and the noise are related.

it could be 2 different problems, and the whoopie noise might be a u-joint. if it is, DO NOT DRIVE it any further or your drive shaft might fall out and break something really expensive.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:37 AM
dlyter09
Champion

I had the clicking sound also.. It was the bearings in the t-case that were shot.. Ive been through a handful of t-cases.. Agree with DH... Clean it all up good and pin point where the leak is coming from and report back

Old 12-02-2012, 01:51 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Could be the Cardan joint on the front drive shaft clicking. Remove the shaft and see if noise goes away. Also make sure you don't have a vac leak to the CAD that is not keeping it engaged in 2wd. http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/repair/..._engagment.htm

Quick Reply: Strange sounds. Now oil everywhere.