2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transfer case BUSTED?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 09:06 PM
dlyter09
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lmao! I have been thinking about doing axles though.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:08 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ At least get them under it. You can build them later on as funds allow.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:16 PM
dlyter09
Champion

The funds have to allow for me to get them first

Old 12-12-2012, 12:11 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really don't know 'bout this throttle body spacer thingy... Aren't those for carb'd engines?

Old 12-12-2012, 12:31 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

^
*facepalm*

PLEASE tell me you're joking about not knowing....

Old 12-12-2012, 01:35 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by techningeer
I really don't know 'bout this throttle body spacer thingy... Aren't those for carb'd engines?
It's just a joke Dlyter and I like to pass around from time to time.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:36 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Good... Cause I don't see any way they would do anything on these fuel injected engines.. LOl

Old 12-13-2012, 12:40 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dlyter09
The tranny mount seems to be in good condition.. I guess what you would expect for a truck that is 12 years old.

Not sure about your second question.. All seems to be ok with it..

And for your last question.. Im not sure how the angle could have changed from the factory.. Only different thing on the rear suspension is the shocks.. And my last failure was while going down the road and it just let loose... Im just not sure what chain of events caused this..

I never really even checked the ubolts or anything like that.. It is possible that something back there went wrong and is causing some axle wrap.. That is something I will have to check into when I start working on the truck again..

As of now my plans are going to be this.

Install my Mega Viper and new t-case with a t-case saver installed.. There will probably be a 5 inch lift going on at the same time.. So suspension will be new along with transmission and t-case..

Sorry for getting back to you late and thanks for indulging the questions.

Consider that the whole drivetrain is rigidly connected, all bolted up, there is no flex. Only bouncing or flex goes through that tranny/tcase mount. I asked about its condition b/c I've seen a picture of a broken one....2x. It will then allow movement and bending loads to occur b/t the tranny/tcase in a bad way. Even the degradation of the bushing/rubber material can/will behave negatively for this. I'm sure you'll replace new given the new tranny/tcase coming in anyways.

Furthermore, my other questions are all related to the stiffness of the drivetrain/alignment and expected movement. For example, if the ubolts loosened up or something in the perches etc. allowed movement, then you might get the axle to spin a bit. Honestly, this would probably be something noticed very easily as the perch(s) would probably fail... Putting that aside though, consider if your axle pinion angle was out of spec. By itself also probably something that wouldn't contribute to your failures. Yet couple it with a possible binding slip yoke on the tcase. If the slip yoke is not slipping, then what will it do? It will bind. The bind will then be able to put a load into the entire case (bending).

Hard to show the latter b/c you've been through 4 tcases and I can only infer the same thing happened. I probably missed it. Other thing is consider the breaks to all be progressive. Meaning something else was stressed before that didn't yet lead to the current break that included part of the tranny.

Buddy of mine wheeling on original axle ujoints. Goes hard driver and in reverse. Driver side HUB breaks. Cool, easy fix for the most part. 2 weeks later same fricken move, breaks the passenger side ujoint, additionally splays open the stub shaft yoke. The first break 2 weeks before also contributed to the 2nd break.

Some things to consider during the time you put this thing together. Hope it was helpful.

Old 12-25-2012, 03:18 AM
Lynx_Gen

this might be a sorta stupid thing to say, and I am slightly uninformed here, but have you guys checked your mounts?

And not just the engine and tranny/t-case mounts..

What about the rear axle.. how old are your springs.. how far is your axle twisting now-a-days on load up??

on a side note, I always stop before shifting into 4 low.. as for 4 hi, it says on the fly.. i've shifted in and out at 140km/hr with no issues, no banging clanging etc, several times.

Quick Reply: Transfer case BUSTED?