2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transfer case BUSTED?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 11:45 PM
dlyter09
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by merc225hp
dlyter09

Does the rear end whine, growl, grind? It has to if that's was the cause, if something is binding in the rear diff it will make a good noise.
Only noises it ever made was went it went out going down the highway at 70. Got my 4.10's and posi put in. It whined like crazy and took it back. Got re-done and never heard a peep out of it after that.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:30 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is what it sounds like when you have a little chunk missing from one of the rollers on a pinion bearing.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:34 AM
dlyter09
Champion

Never had anything like that. When my gears first went in it was a whine not a roar. Had them re-done and they were quiet ever since

Old 12-11-2012, 12:52 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dlyter09
Never had anything like that. When my gears first went in it was a whine not a roar. Had them re-done and they were quiet ever since
If they're quiet then there is a good chance that there isn't an issue there. If the bearings or gear teeth have any issues they will let you know by singing you a tune. It still wouldn't hurt to check out the face of the gears to see if the wear pattern looks right on them. It wouldn't hurt to get some fresh fluid in there if everything checks out.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:56 AM
dlyter09
Champion

Yea I will be pulling the cover while I am doing a bunch of other work. The entire rear end was rebuilt bearings and all when I had gears done.. I wish I could just use and extra long driveshaft and say forget the transfer case lol

Old 12-11-2012, 09:46 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll toss this out there in looking at dlyter's pics and what I gathered from the feedback:

1) This should be more/less obvious, but how's the tranny mount condition? Loose, broke, degraded, still good?

2) This is low probability given 4 tcases, although I can't tell if the it was the same type of break all of them, how well do you think the slip yoke was working?

3) Last thing that comes to mind with the last picture is your rear pinion angle? If the pinion angle is off some and you hit with some good healthy axle wrap (boomin' foot). Might be enough to have driven the D/S upward to then bind the tcase.

Edit: Also what about the ubolt condition? Come loose?

Name:  100_0037.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  354.4 KB

Brainstormin for ya....

Last edited by Wh1t3NuKle; 12-11-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:31 PM
Timothy Watrous
Professional

^ that pictures of the tail housing of the tranny that broke...

Old 12-11-2012, 07:17 PM
dlyter09
Champion

Originally Posted by Timothy Watrous
^ that pictures of the tail housing of the tranny that broke...
Thats my transfer case.. It has pieces of the tailhousing still connected to it..

Old 12-11-2012, 07:23 PM
dlyter09
Champion

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
I'll toss this out there in looking at dlyter's pics and what I gathered from the feedback:

1) This should be more/less obvious, but how's the tranny mount condition? Loose, broke, degraded, still good?

2) This is low probability given 4 tcases, although I can't tell if the it was the same type of break all of them, how well do you think the slip yoke was working?

3) Last thing that comes to mind with the last picture is your rear pinion angle? If the pinion angle is off some and you hit with some good healthy axle wrap (boomin' foot). Might be enough to have driven the D/S upward to then bind the tcase.

Edit: Also what about the ubolt condition? Come loose?

Brainstormin for ya....
The tranny mount seems to be in good condition.. I guess what you would expect for a truck that is 12 years old.

Not sure about your second question.. All seems to be ok with it..

And for your last question.. Im not sure how the angle could have changed from the factory.. Only different thing on the rear suspension is the shocks.. And my last failure was while going down the road and it just let loose... Im just not sure what chain of events caused this..

I never really even checked the ubolts or anything like that.. It is possible that something back there went wrong and is causing some axle wrap.. That is something I will have to check into when I start working on the truck again..

As of now my plans are going to be this.

Install my Mega Viper and new t-case with a t-case saver installed.. There will probably be a 5 inch lift going on at the same time.. So suspension will be new along with transmission and t-case..

Old 12-11-2012, 08:44 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ Do axles too. And long arms. And 23 throttle body spacers.

Quick Reply: Transfer case BUSTED?