2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cant shift out of 2h, knowledge requested

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 07:49 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=Wh1t3NuKle;2922104] I suspect is where Merc got that info. /QUOTE]

Yep, If it say as per the FSM then that's were it's from.

Found here https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...e-manuals.html

Old 12-08-2012, 10:31 PM
baileysoffroad
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
You can obtain free downloads of the factory service manual and parts manual in the DIY/FAQ subforum, which I suspect is where Merc got that info. Additionally, a Haynes manual is able to fill in other holes.

Good luck and look forward to your findings as it may help others.
Thanks for the tip, I Bought the Haynes manual before i got the truck delivered I have one for every rig ive owned...gettin to be a nice collection. Truck came with factory manual, I explored its info on using the 4 wheel drive. Also downloaded and adobe pdf ram svc manual provided by a forum member last night.
Originally Posted by merc225hp
Photo Bucket is popular ez to use and free http://beta.photobucket.com/
Thanks, ill check it out...i have an old flickr account was thinkin i could just use that or post em up to one of my websites and link through...one way or another i should have that figured out tonight just as soon as i go through the painstaking wait of uploading the pics from my phone.

The trucks only been on the road for a couple days and honestly ive been working through lighting electrical first. Right blinker wasnt working..found it had a bad ground..thats fixed...

now Headlights probably also suffering from ground issue as highbeam indicator stays lit when headlights are turned on and gets brighter or dimmer when going from low to high, both filaments lit and when i used tester there is 12+ volts coming through the two outside wires (Red orange stripe, purple white stripe) and 4 volts through the center wire (purple red stripe)

on top of that they were aimed way to high but must be after market lights cause they dont have the adj. that everyone says...no front screws to control up/down or left/right.. just one adj. screw in back that seems to control left right. I pulled the whole headlight to verify...but anyway with it getting dark so fast now i needed to sort through this first.

While i was out tonight i got brave enough to try shifting it again this time i put it in neutral while stopped and attempted to go forward to 4lo...it shifted into neutral and then felt like into 4lo but when i put it in drive i just got the sound of grinding gears like shifting a manual without the clutch...

could be i just didnt have it pushed forward enough but afraid to get stuck away from i home i just quickly returned it back to 2h. tried then to pull it back into 4h and no go so stickin with the plan of tackling it from underneath tomorrow.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:35 PM
baileysoffroad
Veteran

A little update:

I went out an inspected the linkage again, checked the fluid in the tcase (its dark like motor oil so needs to be changed but no glitter effect to indicate metal)

Prior to attempting to remove the pinch bolt on the linkage i got in to shift the tcase again...this time as stated i put it in neutral with the engine off and it shifted into 4lo with ease, turned the engine on and rolled back and forth...ok great.

now feeling out the shift as it comes out of 4lo (again with the engine off and tranny in neutral) its a long stride out of 4lo to neutral, then i feel the shift to 2h and then the difficult part for me is accepting that the shift to 4h is so short....i rolled back and forth under power in both suspected positions and i do feel a little difference in the freedom of roll so ? to you all is..

How long is the pull from 2h to 4h? (another way to clarify this..is the 4x shifter in a nearly straight up position or like 4lo does it come back toward the seat an obvious distance)

I'm sure a good flaming is coming for such a ridiculous question and im ashamed to be asking it but none the less i need the confirmation.. Thanks.

also i know this would be easy to confirm if i could get all the wheels off the ground and see what rolls but i dont have the resources today.

Last edited by baileysoffroad; 12-09-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:41 PM
baileysoffroad
Veteran

Btw heres a shot of the Truck

Name:  imagejpeg_2_30.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  911.9 KB

Old 12-09-2012, 12:53 PM
baileysoffroad
Veteran

Forgot to mention i also discovered the trackbar bracket was a bit loose as the was the trackbar to the bracket also loose...this could be the cause of the clunk i heard when braking the other night.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:30 PM
dlyter09
Champion

from 2hi to 4hi is a very short throw compared to 4lo... 4lo the lever is way forward..

Old 12-09-2012, 01:56 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I am having a brain fart whats the 98+ 4wd shift pattern? Somebody put allot of $$ in looking good goodies on that truck wow, some I like others not so much. Q how old was the person you bought it from? The t case is shifting fine when not under drive-line load, this is a indication of worn internal parts, shift fork, collars and the like.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:06 PM
baileysoffroad
Veteran

Originally Posted by dlyter09
from 2hi to 4hi is a very short throw compared to 4lo... 4lo the lever is way forward..
Ok, good to know...can you further confirm for me by the description of your shift levers position when in 4h...is it in fact nearly straight up and down?

Track bar not loose but joint failed....guess its time for a new one or an excuse for an upgrade...

I read this article http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techart...ering_upgrade/
but input would be nice...

Old 12-09-2012, 02:10 PM
baileysoffroad
Veteran

Originally Posted by merc225hp
I am having a brain fart whats the 98+ 4wd shift pattern? Somebody put allot of $$ in looking good goodies on that truck wow, some I like others not so much. Q how old was the person you bought it from? The t case is shifting fine when not under drive-line load, this is a indication of worn internal parts, shift fork, collars and the like.
from seat to firewall 4h-2h-n-4lo

And yes a lot of goodies, some i wasnt sure of either, even the red paint i wasnt expecially fond of being a black car lover myself but the truck does make me smile everytime i look at it. I'm pretty sure it was a younger black guy that owned it...i got it for a steal at auction when it was repoed...He had an ebay ad trying to sell it for 15k a couple days before it was listed for auction.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:12 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

in 2 hi the shifter is about straight up.
as said, from 2 hi to 4 hi is a very short shift distance. only an inch or so on the shifter ****.

welcome to df.

Quick Reply: Cant shift out of 2h, knowledge requested