2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Time for a new Track Bar or an excuse for an Upgrade..thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 08:44 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by baileysoffroad
Awesome...could you report back after install whatchya think of the ride, intallation, feel of the steering etc. ?

Question:

How do you deal with Steering geometry issue without a drop pitman arm?

I do like and plan on running a box stabilizer though, i like the looks of the solid steel industries support listed on page 1 of this thread. Do you have experience with any others...we may as well share that info here also.
Look at this http://www.dodgeoffroad.com/store_DORbrace2g.php

Unless you get into $$$ cross over steering then Drop arm it is.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:22 PM
baileysoffroad
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by merc225hp
Look at this http://www.dodgeoffroad.com/store_DORbrace2g.php

Unless you get into $$$ cross over steering then Drop arm it is.
I thought even with cross over steering you would need the drop arm for proper geometry...

I'm diggin that brace, thanks for sharing! Great concept, and good info on about frame twist causing sector shaft and gear damage...the brace looks simple enough to make, hmmm..i'd have to look into where i could get the nut/shaft ext. and the bearing...

Name:  DORbrace14.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  64.1 KB
Name:  DORbrace15.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  58.9 KB

off topic this bumper isnt to shabby either...I plan on making mine..i wanted to encorporate the lights and I like the enclosed winch but perhaps more style.

Name:  offroad329.jpg
Views: 849
Size:  276.0 KB

Old 12-12-2012, 09:30 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spikes.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:44 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=baileysoffroad;2925040] I'm diggin that brace, thanks for sharing! Great concept, and good info on about frame twist causing sector shaft and gear damage...the brace looks simple enough to make, hmmm..i'd have to look into where i could get the nut/shaft ext. and the bearing...

I really hope that was a unfinished product in those pix, I think it would be ez to fab one up that's close to it.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:59 PM
baileysoffroad
Veteran

I really hope that was a unfinished product in those pix, I think it would be ez to fab one up that's close to it.
I think so to, and the bearing is easy to get, its the nut/extension that i got to think about, unless ofcourse we just weld up a shaft to some dom tubing and a spare nut., if really worried about precision could just have a machine shop take care of that piece.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:03 PM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker

Yeah I like those road rhino bumpers. Cool thing is they come in a weld it yourself kit for like 800 for both.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:19 AM
baileysoffroad
Veteran

Heres the link if anyones ever interested.

http://www.roadrhinobumpers.com/index.html

Old 12-13-2012, 12:59 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thought I'd post a pic of the skyjacker option previously mentioned...just wanna cover all our bases here for future searches...price ranges from about $260 to $350

I see it has thread adjustment on axle side and a slot on frame side. Although the slot only allows 2 positions. Forgot to mention I just don't like heim joints. Loud, harsh ride, and don't last long.

My Tbar, which I'm not endorsing b/c it doesn't meet your lift height has very similar frame bracket with exception of the slot. The tbar is double threaded for adjustment.

Here is a vendor (PolyPerformance) that sells the 3rd Gen bracket conversion (which is pretty much dead on same as mine:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/14097352-post16.html

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...t-p-29380.html

Then fab your own panhard bar including double adjustment if desired or size it directly.

^^^ I like it, more adjustable than others, I like the bracket. You guys down there just p*** me off with those prices that kit is a $500+ touch up here. Buy it.

It's still a good tbar setup as so many rigs have it.

[QUOTE=merc225hp;2925053]
I'm diggin that brace, thanks for sharing! Great concept, and good info on about frame twist causing sector shaft and gear damage...the brace looks simple enough to make, hmmm..i'd have to look into where i could get the nut/shaft ext. and the bearing...

I believe that picture was an early one to show progress. It almost appears there is no extension of the sector shaft, but piece of DOM or other material that had the end splined for the sector shaft.

Last edited by Wh1t3NuKle; 12-13-2012 at 01:01 PM. Reason: heim comment
Old 12-13-2012, 01:31 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome...could you report back after install whatchya think of the ride, intallation, feel of the steering etc. ?

Question:

How do you deal with Steering geometry issue without a drop pitman arm?

I do like and plan on running a box stabilizer though, i like the looks of the solid steel industries support listed on page 1 of this thread. Do you have experience with any others...we may as well share that info here also.
i will report as soon as get started on it for sure!

the geometry is not an issue as long as you dont drop either one, however you do need to extend both the drag link and track bar, now with setup the axle will have a little side to side movement over a long travel, but trust me, you will never notice it, i have 7.5" lift on my mega cab with stock steering and track bar, and it drives, rides better than it did new! but on a second gen the only real option is to go with an after market adjustable track bar,

the box stabilizers i build or have put on a few (BD ithink they were?) and they seem pretty good but can interfeer with some lift kits on the sway bar mount,

[QUOTE=baileysoffroad;2925040]I thought even with cross over steering you would need the drop arm for proper geometry...

Name:  DORbrace14.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  64.1 KB
Name:  DORbrace15.jpg
Views: 890
Size:  58.9 KB

i make my braces with about $20 worth of parts from john deere (bearing and bolts) and a few pieces of iron

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
I see it has thread adjustment on axle side and a slot on frame side. Although the slot only allows 2 positions. Forgot to mention I just don't like heim joints. Loud, harsh ride, and don't last long.
the slot is fully adjustable on this bar with the same concept as the cam bolts on the lower control arms we have, plus the hiem is adjustable also and as far as noise from a heim, as long as one side of the bar has a bushing like this one does, it doesnt seem make any noise

Last edited by dodgetrucker75; 12-13-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:06 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for explaining the slot. I was focused on what appears to be a shoulder of material going from like 8 to 5 oclock and didn't notice the bottom face was open for the cam washer to move out.

I'd love to come and see your setups, especially your (local to me) made box stabilizers. I've had some ideas on how to work or integrate with the sway bar mount locations.

Quick Reply: Time for a new Track Bar or an excuse for an Upgrade..thoughts?