2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Time for a new Track Bar or an excuse for an Upgrade..thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 03:47 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
Thanks for explaining the slot. I was focused on what appears to be a shoulder of material going from like 8 to 5 oclock and didn't notice the bottom face was open for the cam washer to move out.

I'd love to come and see your setups, especially your (local to me) made box stabilizers. I've had some ideas on how to work or integrate with the sway bar mount locations.
any time you wana come up just let me know, i rarely ever make it south of yuba city, otherwise i would swing by,

for my box brace i integraded the sway bar drop from a lift kit, it was just the cheap-o chanel iron drop witch always seem to break also, so i cured 2 problems at once

Old 12-15-2012, 07:24 PM
baileysoffroad
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgetrucker75
i will report as soon as get started on it for sure!

the geometry is not an issue as long as you dont drop either one, however you do need to extend both the drag link and track bar, now with setup the axle will have a little side to side movement over a long travel, but trust me, you will never notice it, i have 7.5" lift on my mega cab with stock steering and track bar, and it drives, rides better than it did new! but on a second gen the only real option is to go with an after market adjustable track bar,

the box stabilizers i build or have put on a few (BD ithink they were?) and they seem pretty good but can interfeer with some lift kits on the sway bar mount,

i make my braces with about $20 worth of parts from john deere (bearing and bolts) and a few pieces of iron

the slot is fully adjustable on this bar with the same concept as the cam bolts on the lower control arms we have, plus the hiem is adjustable also and as far as noise from a heim, as long as one side of the bar has a bushing like this one does, it doesnt seem make any noise
Thanks for taking the time to post up the explanation. Look forward to the report. I cant just swing by to take a peek but would be cool to see some pics of your braces and or parts prior to assembly.

Excellent tip on the use of John Deere!

I gotta say this has turned into a great thread..If anyone has any other options they think compete with whats been posted lets get em up or if anyone would care to share their review of products listed that would be great too.

Thanks Everyone!

Old 12-18-2012, 06:37 PM
baileysoffroad
Veteran

I thought the Moog problem solver should get its fair share of pic attention. It is much beefier where it counts and was deserving of the same red treatment everything else was being showcased in so here we go....(I bought and installed this a temp fix till spring when i "spring" for the skyjacker setup)

Name:  20121218_104942.jpg
Views: 1251
Size:  118.2 KB
Name:  20121218_104926.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  104.5 KB

compared to stock

Name:  20121217_205714.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  150.6 KB

Name:  20121217_205427.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  150.4 KB

Old 12-18-2012, 06:46 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice! Way beefier than the stock unit.

Does it specify how much lift can be used on that bar? I know the stock bars are like 2in or something.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:05 PM
baileysoffroad
Veteran

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
Nice! Way beefier than the stock unit.

Does it specify how much lift can be used on that bar? I know the stock bars are like 2in or something.
No it didnt say...it also had a little sticker enclosed with the new castle nut that said the torque specs have been increased but didnt say to what lol.

Its just a stock replacement so lift height figures should be the same I imagine, I'm using it with the drop bracket i currently had for now...I got the bar for $116 shipped from us auto parts...buys me time and lets me throw money at higher priority parts...like gears.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:08 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by baileysoffroad
No it didnt say...it also had a little sticker enclosed with the new castle nut that said the torque specs have been increased but didnt say to what lol.

Its just a stock replacement so lift height figures should be the same I imagine, I'm using it with the drop bracket i currently had for now...I got the bar for $116 shipped from us auto parts...buys me time and lets me throw money at higher priority parts...like gears.
Alright, I was wondering since it looked heavier duty than the stocker.

Thanks.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:20 PM
baileysoffroad
Veteran

I took a snapshot of Problem solver pdf.

Name:  Moogproblemsolverdesignsheet.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  249.9 KB

Old 12-18-2012, 09:04 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

That's pretty cool, thanks for posting that.

I shall add it to my list of upgrade parts.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:24 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by baileysoffroad
...buys me time and lets me throw money at higher priority parts...like gears.

I like this rationale.

Looks good man. Appears you can add zerk fitting on it. Did ya? I recommend it just the same.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:31 PM
baileysoffroad
Veteran

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
I like this rationale.

Looks good man. Appears you can add zerk fitting on it. Did ya? I recommend it just the same.
Yes sir...its a requirement, otherwise i think all the grease would just exit through open hole...i had not intsalled the fitting yet when i took comparison pics but perhaps you can see it if you look close in installed pic...either way..its there.

Quick Reply: Time for a new Track Bar or an excuse for an Upgrade..thoughts?