2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Intermediate starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 04:41 PM
szpilafam
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the pick up coil was going bad is it possible that it could fre when I spray strting fluid in it but not spark when it had fuel? I replaced the fuel rail and it still does it. only afer it has warmed up though it never does it first thing?! There is no engine light but had it scanned at autozone they said pick up coil. I have replaced that and I am waiting to see if it does it again. Any idea where the check engine light should be? (other then in the dash?)

Old 12-25-2012, 09:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

CEL should come on when you first turn the key to on. (not started yet.)

Pickup coil has nothing to do with ignition timing, or ignition at all for that matter.... it deals with injector timing, that's it. If you weren't getting fuel, I would suspect the cam sensor.... Given your symptoms tough, I would be more inclined to think failing crank sensor.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:33 PM
szpilafam
Rookie

the check engine light does not come on when you turn the key(or ever for that matter) It's either burned out or previous owner took it out. I have replacement bulbs but where the heck is it? He has not had the starting problem since I replaced the camshaft sensor (pick up coil) If it happens again I will check the crank sensor. By the way Merry Christmas and thanks for the help!!!

Old 12-26-2012, 05:36 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't remember where it is in the 97. Take a bright flashlight when the truck is off and shine it around the instruments and all around that area to try and find it.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

On my 96, its on the lower, left part of the tach.....

Old 01-03-2013, 02:49 PM
szpilafam
Rookie

just to update, since replacing the pick up coil (under dist cap) The truck has been starting fine. Still haven't found the light but to be honest I havent looked for it that hard.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:18 PM
szpilafam
Rookie

ANOTHER FINE MESS,
He called me and said it died and wouldn't start. By the time I got there it fired up. Couldn't duplicate the fault so...He was at a friends and it wouldn't start. I went tried to start it. It started then shut down after 2 seconds. Tried to start and just turned over, tapped the gas pedal and got it running but wont idle with out holding gas. Died wouldn't start. Checked code it said ignition coil primary circuit. I replaced the primary coil (side of engine) and secondary (under distributor cap) When the 1st starting issue arose. Will the crankshaft position sensor (tranny one) cause this problem? Could the distributer itself be bad? I have noticed that the cap was loose and that several intake manifold bolts were loose, I have tightened each but from what I've been reading plan on replacing manifold gasket.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:33 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Crank sensor can keep it from starting and/or cause it to die. Distributor itself is not likely suspect. Check cap and rotor though and replace if they look corroded, burned, or cracked. Do not turn distributor or you will throw off the fuel synch.

Make sure the grounds are all good....clean and tight. Fender, frame below batter, engine block. firewall behind pass side valve cover, etc.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:24 AM
moparmopar

Have you replace the cam or crank sensors?. if you read my post on the non starting issue i had the same problem as your son expect mine wouldnt start at all, i was getting spart from coil plugs and distributor and getting fuel and all that good stuff, but i took it to the deale and they said the ASD relay was stuck open and threw a code in my PCM but it never thru a CEL and when we look the ASD was fine but that was my problem and since replacing that i had no problems let me know how this works.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:05 AM
szpilafam
Rookie

It was the ignition coil again, the one on the side of the block. Replaced that and it's fine. My dodge avenger had starting issues and it was the coil as well. Must be a dodge thing. By the way since my son was driving my dodge while I was working on his...I am now carless. He hit a patch of ice coming to get me from work and r.I.p. Green machine is only good for scrap. I found a 97 ram 5 speed for sale for 700 so I'm going to look at that today. Thanks for all the input folks!

Quick Reply: Intermediate starting issue