2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Possible for fuel pump to go out over night?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 09:35 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gee. Guessing can be fun...or not.

Get a fuel pressure gauge and see what the pressure is. Than you know if that is the problem or if it lies elsewhere.

Last edited by gdstock; 12-12-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:13 PM
tssiTanker
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well im confused, but it's working again. I poured 2 cans of seafoam into the tank, and some into the intake and it started up, and ran terrible then just revved up and idled back down to normal. It had been starting up and idling for a couple seconds terribly and then die. I couldn't here my fuel pump buzzing when i turned the key. Now i can hear it again. Not sure what this was, but hope the issue doesn't come back. Never had anything like this happen before.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:00 PM
ReadRam
All Star

That was fun. One time i drove 30 miles out of town for work. On the way back the pump would go for a mile at a time then quit, . with a ten minute rest between miles. My fuel pump horror story.
The not buzzing part is a clue I think, and there is first time for everything, and usually a second time for most things.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:16 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tssiTanker
Well im confused, but it's working again. I poured 2 cans of seafoam into the tank, and some into the intake and it started up, and ran terrible then just revved up and idled back down to normal. It had been starting up and idling for a couple seconds terribly and then die. I couldn't here my fuel pump buzzing when i turned the key. Now i can hear it again. Not sure what this was, but hope the issue doesn't come back. Never had anything like this happen before.

Double check the grounds to frame and body. A flakey ground can cause intermittant issues.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:21 AM
tssiTanker
Rookie

The next morning it happened again, after I got it running again. Figured out what it was though. Not the fuel pump. Apparently the gas that I just filled up with had an excessive amount of water in it, and it caused some ice in the lines. So after adding some gas line antifreeze it hasn't done it for the past 2 days.

Quick Reply: Possible for fuel pump to go out over night?