2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Thinking of buying a V10, questions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Will_CA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying a V10, questions.

Hello, new member here.

I'm considering buying an 8.0l V10 that was pulled out of a 96 Ram 2500. It has 60k miles and ran before it was pulled out of the truck (truck was wrecked), and from pictures I've seen it looks in pretty good shape. The engine is complete, including wiring harness. I'm getting more info on it soon, but the guy is practically giving it away for $600. I just wanted to know, how reliable/durable are these engines? I know it shares a lot of components with the gen 1 viper, and I'm definitely looking into adding some viper parts if I pick it up. The reason I'm considering getting it is honestly just for a Christmas present to myself and something to work on over the summer. Maybe in a year or two I can drop it into a beat up body with a new transmission and have just a beater car that hauls ***. Haven't really figured that part out yet. So yeah, I'd love to hear some opinions on the engine's potential, expected maintenance/repair costs, or any previous experiences.

Just for some background info to introduce myself: I'm 17 and a complete car fanatic, have decent mechanic skills, work in the summer at a mechanics, and I am majoring in mechanical engineering next year at a college yet to be decided (probably UT at Austin).

Thanks!

Old 12-12-2012, 09:38 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The V10 is a decent engine. It is by no means as reliable or are the parts as plentiful as the Magnums or the Cummins. Not a whole lot of aftermarket for them either, even less then the Dodge Magnum.

If that's what you want to do, go for it, it's your decision. Hopefully someone else will chime in with more info.

anyway.....Welcome to DF! The only place where the posters spend your money faster than you can!

Old 12-12-2012, 09:42 PM
Ramcountryboy
Captain

Hey welcome to Dodge Forum! You should read this page, should be all the info you should ever want on the V10- http://www.allpar.com/mopar/V10.html

Old 12-12-2012, 09:44 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just be prepared to get raped at the gas station.

As already said there isn't much aftermarket support for them, which sucks because it's a nice platform.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:53 PM
CSDavies26
Veteran

Originally Posted by Will_CA
and I am majoring in mechanical engineering next year at a college yet to be decided (probably UT at Austin).

Thanks!
Ahh a fellow mech. engineer major (or soon to be). I'm finishing up my last semester as a mech egr major in the spring. Best of luck to ya, its not easy. Your mechanical background will help, mechanically inclined people tend to have an easier time with some of the hands on stuff associated with labs and senior projects. Stick with it, and you'll be glad you did. Sorry for not offering any advice on the v10 haha, just wanted to give ya some encouragement.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:56 PM
stewie01
Legend

But OP, you might wanna hit up JimmyTheFan, he's got a sweet V10. He could give you some feedback from actual use.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:25 PM
Will_CA

Originally Posted by CSDavies26
Ahh a fellow mech. engineer major (or soon to be). I'm finishing up my last semester as a mech egr major in the spring. Best of luck to ya, its not easy. Your mechanical background will help, mechanically inclined people tend to have an easier time with some of the hands on stuff associated with labs and senior projects. Stick with it, and you'll be glad you did. Sorry for not offering any advice on the v10 haha, just wanted to give ya some encouragement.
Thanks for the encouragement, I know it will be tough but I've always wanted to do it. I'm going to minor in business as well.

Originally Posted by stewie01
But OP, you might wanna hit up JimmyTheFan, he's got a sweet V10. He could give you some feedback from actual use.
I searched everywhere but couldn't find the guy, could you give me a link to his profile/related posts? And yea gas mileage will suck, but I get 12 now with what I drive so I'm used to it.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:11 AM
TitanOneSeven
Rookie

I can tell you that I have found my V10 to be very reliable. Aftermarket parts are few and far between as stated, but I haven't had an issue finding any stock replacement parts thanks to websites like RockAuto and my local parts stores keep a good stock also. As for the Gen 1 Viper stuff, everything I have seen says they are totally different engines. If I recall the only thing that the two have in common is the push rods.

Ramcountryboy put up a good link, he's another one, a it more technical but there is some more information at the bottom. http://dodgeram.org/tech/gas/specs/8_0v10.htm

Old 12-13-2012, 12:53 PM
clipper77
Veteran

Very reliable, very tough engines.

Mine has lived a very hard life, but refuses to quit.

Only thing I can't stand is how bad she is on gas, but i guess it comes with the territory (it is a 488 after all...)

How was the truck wrecked? If it was a front end collision, I would be very cautious. Have you seen it in person/ will you be able to see it in person before you purchase? Pictures can be deceitful...

No plenum problems with these bad boys either, so I guess thats a plus.

Last edited by clipper77; 12-13-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:46 PM
stewie01
Legend

Here's a link for Jimmthefan
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/members...imythefan.html

But you've already got two other V10 owners in the thread, so I'm sure they can provide good info!

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a V10, questions.