2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98 starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 09:12 PM
Auxiliary
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 starting problems

First time posting here so I'm sorry if I got anything wrong.

I'll give you the back story since I'm not sure what the issue really is.

I recently bought a 98 Dodge Ram 1500 from my dad who said there was a problem with the remote start that was installed in it. So he took it out and since then he said that when he was driving it there were a few times when he would try to start it and nothing would happen. Wouldn't turn over or anything.

I bought it anyway since I needed a truck and I never had the problem untill a few days ago. Got Snowed in at work so the truck sat in the snow for 2 days but started up after I put some HEET in the tank to unfreeze the fuel lines. Got me home and back to work the next night. Then after work I went out to start up my truck, put the key in, lights up, battery good, but when I turn the key nothing. Still have power and everything it just wont turn over.

So I've no idea what it is, tried jumping it with no luck. Checked the fuses and nothing looks out of the ordinary. Disconnected the battery for 15 minutes and tried again no luck. Tried starting it in neutral no go. I've heard that its possible the starter may have frozen but I had no issue with it when it was colder. Only other thing I can think of to add is that I did work the starter a bit much when I was trying to start it before dumping HEET into the tank.

If anyone has any advice I'd greatly appreciate it because I'm no mechanic and the only thing I have to go off is that it wasn't having this problem until the remote start was taken out.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:14 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's a darn good time to hope your dad remembers where all of those remote start wires were connected, because chances are good that something got hosed up during the install or the later removal. A serious, patient, painstaking inspection is in order.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:28 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,214 Likes on 2,965 Posts

Does the engine turn over, and just not fire? Or will the starter not engage at all?

Old 12-15-2012, 09:42 PM
Auxiliary
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Engine doesn't turn over, starter doesn't engage.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:49 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless you have a ton of water in your gasoline why would you need to unfreeze the fuel lines? Gasoline doesn't even begin to freeze until it reaches some wicked cold temperatures.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:05 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,214 Likes on 2,965 Posts

Do you hear the starter relay click? If not, swap the starter relay with the horn relay. (assuming your horn works.....)

Old 12-16-2012, 11:48 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just a shot in the dark here but make sure the battery connections are clean shiny lead and not covered in a shiny film or corrosion.
I've seen mine a couple times and my sisters truck 3 or 4 times do diddly when you turn the key because of dirty battery terminals.
Also check the red wire that goes from the positive terminal to the PDC for bumps in the insulation. My sisters truck wouldn't start one time because that thing was corroded like crazy under the insulation.
It wouldn't hurt to check the starter relay and the ASD relay with a 9 volt battery, some alligator clips (to activate the relay) and a multimeter. A bad ASD relay will make it not want to start. ASD stands for automatic shutdown relay and it does exactly what the name implies.

Hopefully it isn't related to the remote start that got removed.

Quick Reply: 98 starting problems