2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How do I keep from killing transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 05:13 PM
nskyline34
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I will look into those threads. Back to the mega-viper, it can handle 700hp but will it work for me when I'm out rock crawling with 44's? (coming in the summer) That's what I'm worried about, slow going and a lot of load on that trans.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:16 PM
nskyline34
Rookie

Kinda been been thinking about the mega viper (level 3) or doing the Ramzilla conversion (converts a 46RE to a level 4/5 48RE) What are the thoughts on this? how are the Ramzilla ones in comparison to the megaviper?

Old 12-17-2012, 05:24 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well UnregisteredUser has a MegaViper, so you could send him a Private Message and get his thoughts.

I don't know of anyone else on the 2nd Gen Section that has one (I think there might be another one or two), besides dlyter, but his isn't installed yet...

Old 12-17-2012, 05:36 PM
dlyter09
Champion

With the proper gearing and axle set up you shouldnt have to be worried about your transmission.. If your going that big though I would want a different trans for sure.. Get a mega viper or something close and install a bigger cooler and put a remote filter in where the check valve is.. Shouldnt have any issues

Old 12-17-2012, 05:38 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nskyline34
What is the big deal with the viper and mega viper transmissions? what are they made for and what makes them better than the stockers?
You won't find a better built 46R transmission anywhere. Period.

They're better because they're built to handle a lot more power than the factory unit, so they don't fail so readily in truck duty. In a nutshell: They use superior friction components in the clutches and bands, provide additional clutch surface to reduce the load per unit of clutch area, they apply more clamping pressure to those friction components, and they apply and release that clamping pressure much more rapidly than the stock units. This means less intentional slippage during shifts and less unintended slippage under heavy load. This means there's less grit circulating in the oil to cause wear where the oil is used for lubrication, and it also means there's less heat generated by friction.

They also use much stronger, more reliable parts than the OEM units in those places where failure under heavy load is more common.

PATC's torque converters are much stronger than OEM, so are far less failure prone.

Stuff a Mega Viper behind any normally aspirated small block Magnum and you don't stand a chance of breaking the transmission. You're going to have to wear it out. And with all of those things I wrote of above in the transmission's favor, it's going to be a long, long time before you wear it out. Throw in a deeper pan to keep the oil cooler and a remote filter to keep the oil cleaner, and that transmission is likely going to outlive the rest of the truck.

That's what the big deal is.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:21 PM
nskyline34
Rookie

Originally Posted by dlyter09
With the proper gearing and axle set up you shouldnt have to be worried about your transmission.. If your going that big though I would want a different trans for sure.. Get a mega viper or something close and install a bigger cooler and put a remote filter in where the check valve is.. Shouldnt have any issues
Ok that sounds good. I think my truck already has an aftermarket trans cooler on it (about 18" x 14") or is that stock size? when i do the remote filter should i remove the stock pickup in the bottom of the pan? Yea I dont really know why it took a s*** on me. I put it in 4-low to have the gearing specifically to save it...

Old 12-17-2012, 06:26 PM
nskyline34
Rookie

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
You won't find a better built 46R transmission anywhere. Period.

They're better because they're built to handle a lot more power than the factory unit, so they don't fail so readily in truck duty. In a nutshell: They use superior friction components in the clutches and bands, provide additional clutch surface to reduce the load per unit of clutch area, they apply more clamping pressure to those friction components, and they apply and release that clamping pressure much more rapidly than the stock units. This means less intentional slippage during shifts and less unintended slippage under heavy load. This means there's less grit circulating in the oil to cause wear where the oil is used for lubrication, and it also means there's less heat generated by friction.

They also use much stronger, more reliable parts than the OEM units in those places where failure under heavy load is more common.

PATC's torque converters are much stronger than OEM, so are far less failure prone.

Stuff a Mega Viper behind any normally aspirated small block Magnum and you don't stand a chance of breaking the transmission. You're going to have to wear it out. And with all of those things I wrote of above in the transmission's favor, it's going to be a long, long time before you wear it out. Throw in a deeper pan to keep the oil cooler and a remote filter to keep the oil cleaner, and that transmission is likely going to outlive the rest of the truck.

That's what the big deal is.
haha funny you'd chime in on this thread, I just got done reading your review. haha have you ever heard about the ramzilla 46re to 48re conversion?? pondering this too based on how my truck is going to be build in the next coming years... going to be a 4x4 with 44's and will see mainly low speeds...

also what stall speed do you recommend? I was thinking 1800 to 2000? thoughts??

Old 12-17-2012, 07:01 PM
dlyter09
Champion

I have a 1600 stall in mine.. cant really comment anymore than that cause it is not installed yet.. And you do have plans for the axles right?

Old 12-17-2012, 07:29 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

have you ever heard about the ramzilla 46re to 48re conversion?? pondering this too based on how my truck is going to be build in the next coming years... going to be a 4x4 with 44's and will see mainly low speeds...
The Ramzilla would be pointless overkill. The Mega Viper is rated for 700 horsepower at the input shaft. Just keep the thing cool and clean and you'll be in great shape.

What I'd do is to go with the Mega Viper and install a forced air cooling system -- an ATF cooler with a thermostatically controlled fan, that is. Also, unless you've a compelling reason not to, use electric fans on the main radiator, and install an override switch so you can turn them on when you see the transmission temperature climbing. Which of course implies that you really should have a temperature gauge on the thing.

also what stall speed do you recommend? I was thinking 1800 to 2000? thoughts??
Depends upon the engine in front and the gears behind, really. What you really want for rock crawling and other low speed, high load work is the lowest stall you can get away with. You really don't want that converter running in torque multiplication mode any longer than it must because it's going to make huge amounts of heat in that mode. The hot ticket is to select the differential gears appropriate to the application so you don't need torque multiplication at higher engine RPMs.

When wheeling an automatic, the best technique is to select the gear that will keep your engine running at 2000RPM or above that so it's making good power AND keeping your torque converter above its rated stall speed while maintaining the appropriate (and safe) ground speed. Do that and the engine and transmission will run cool while delivering the power you need to get the job done, and you'll stay unstuck a lot more than the guy who tries to do everything at fast idle speed.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:39 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah go for either the five-speed or a upgraded tranny such as the mega-viper... Don't use the Ramzilla kit: All it does is add a extra O/D clutch and maybe slighlty heavier duty springs and clutches. Not really worth it IMO... Almost had a tranny shop talk me into it a year or two ago...

Quick Reply: How do I keep from killing transmissions