2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How do I keep from killing transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 09:24 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a MegaViper.

And get a Goddanged SCT so you can break your tires loose. My truck is totally stock and has 3.55's and even I can break them loose from a rolling start in the rain. And I don't have an SCT either.

*lack of deathflash FTW*

Old 12-17-2012, 09:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

The check valve tends to clog up, and restrict/prevent flow. Your trans gets really hot, and rolls over and plays dead. (unfortunately, it isn't just playing....) Check valve delete avoids that little problem.

Adding an inline spin-on filter system has a check valve internal to the filter (provided you get the right filter) so the valve gets changed every time you change the filter.

The Viper series of transmissions are indeed bullet proof. Spring the big bucks (around 2500, plus installation) for the Mega Viper, and that is the last trans your truck will need.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:16 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nskyline34
when i do the remote filter should i remove the stock pickup in the bottom of the pan?
Nope. Keep the internal filter in place, and if you go with a deep pan, get a filter extender to keep that filter deep in the oil. The last thing you want to do is get the truck tipped at an extreme angle and have the transmission pump sucking air.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:13 AM
nskyline34
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dlyter09
I have a 1600 stall in mine.. cant really comment anymore than that cause it is not installed yet.. And you do have plans for the axles right?
What about the plans for my axles?

Old 12-18-2012, 01:18 AM
nskyline34
Rookie

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
The Ramzilla would be pointless overkill. The Mega Viper is rated for 700 horsepower at the input shaft. Just keep the thing cool and clean and you'll be in great shape.

What I'd do is to go with the Mega Viper and install a forced air cooling system -- an ATF cooler with a thermostatically controlled fan, that is. Also, unless you've a compelling reason not to, use electric fans on the main radiator, and install an override switch so you can turn them on when you see the transmission temperature climbing. Which of course implies that you really should have a temperature gauge on the thing.

Depends upon the engine in front and the gears behind, really. What you really want for rock crawling and other low speed, high load work is the lowest stall you can get away with. You really don't want that converter running in torque multiplication mode any longer than it must because it's going to make huge amounts of heat in that mode. The hot ticket is to select the differential gears appropriate to the application so you don't need torque multiplication at higher engine RPMs.

When wheeling an automatic, the best technique is to select the gear that will keep your engine running at 2000RPM or above that so it's making good power AND keeping your torque converter above its rated stall speed while maintaining the appropriate (and safe) ground speed. Do that and the engine and transmission will run cool while delivering the power you need to get the job done, and you'll stay unstuck a lot more than the guy who tries to do everything at fast idle speed.
So is that what you think toasted my trans in the first place was cruising through the snow too slow? I was in 4-low so I tried to get the RPM's up. So I should maybe get a 1400 stall converter then? what does the stall speed change? say for argument sake you had a 1500 and a 2500 rpm converters in 2 identical trucks, what's the difference gong to be? Thanks for your helpful insight too!

Old 12-18-2012, 01:21 AM
nskyline34
Rookie

Originally Posted by techningeer
Yeah go for either the five-speed or a upgraded tranny such as the mega-viper... Don't use the Ramzilla kit: All it does is add a extra O/D clutch and maybe slighlty heavier duty springs and clutches. Not really worth it IMO... Almost had a tranny shop talk me into it a year or two ago...
viper is rated at 500hp, mega viper at 700, then what is the ramzilla rated at? also what does this mean as far as hauling and being under a heavy load turning big off road tires constantly??

Old 12-18-2012, 04:05 AM
greanbeans
Rookie

Ramzilla is rated at 800 gas horsepower

Old 12-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nskyline34
What about the plans for my axles?
He wants to know if you are going to build real axles to handle those big tires or if you think you can keep using the 1/2 tons.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:12 PM
dlyter09
Champion

Originally Posted by Wombat Ranger
He wants to know if you are going to build real axles to handle those big tires or if you think you can keep using the 1/2 tons.
^^^ this exactly.. If not be sure to have a video camera handy when you snap everything like toothpicks

Old 12-18-2012, 12:43 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't beefythedodge (right person?) riding like half a mile up on half ton axles? :P

Quick Reply: How do I keep from killing transmissions