2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

quick add-a-leaf question

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 06:14 PM
97ramrod1500
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default quick add-a-leaf question

i ordered an add a leaf for my 97 ram and i was under my truck spraying all the nuts and bolts with some pb blaster. the description for the aal says it'll add 1.5-2 inches and i don't think there were that many threads on the U bolts.

Do i need new u bolts for the AAL?

Old 12-17-2012, 06:27 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you only need enough threads for the thickness of the aal, it may only be about 1/2 thick, but due to the spring, it will give ya the 1.5-2'' lift

Old 12-17-2012, 07:26 PM
Ramcountryboy
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right, i put on some add a leafs and factory bolts were fine. The add a leafs have more of an arch and that arches the factory springs a little more. Just so you know after springs settle youll probably only gain about an inch of lift.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:36 PM
97ramrod1500
Captain

ok thanks; i'm not going for the lift as much as the additional payload capacity.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:02 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you reconsider on the AAL and want payload without added lift or unloaded ride change, look at the timbren rubber helper springs. they're awesome.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...installed.html

Old 12-18-2012, 02:29 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It is typically frowned upon to reuse u-bolts, even if you have enough threads. The problem is that factory u-bolts have rolled threads, not cut threads. This is done so that the first time a nut is torqued on the threads, the threads will mold into the nut. This greatly increases the contact surface area and tension between the threads on the bolt and the nut, thereby improving the nuts ability to hold the same torque and not back off over time. Once you undo the nut though, the thread is not restored. So retorquing a u-bolt results in a less secure fit the second time, even at the same torque. This means that over time, the nut is more likely to come loose. Secondly, the bolt itself can actually stretch when torqued the first time. It is intended to do this. It does not compress back when the nut is taken off though. So if you reuse the bolt, torquing it again stretches it again. Over time, this can make the bolt weaker.

When I did my AAL, I replaced the u-bolts with longer ones that were custom made by a local suspension shop.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:53 PM
Halojm
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should be fine, I've done a 2" AAL, as long as the U bolts stick through the nuts flush or better, mine are right at flush. I've had no issues.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:15 PM
97ramrod1500
Captain

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
if you reconsider on the AAL and want payload without added lift or unloaded ride change, look at the timbren rubber helper springs. they're awesome.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...installed.html
I definitely want the additional payload and its a good excuse to give it a little lift

Originally Posted by Silver_Dodge
It is typically frowned upon to reuse u-bolts, even if you have enough threads. The problem is that factory u-bolts have rolled threads, not cut threads. This is done so that the first time a nut is torqued on the threads, the threads will mold into the nut. This greatly increases the contact surface area and tension between the threads on the bolt and the nut, thereby improving the nuts ability to hold the same torque and not back off over time. Once you undo the nut though, the thread is not restored. So retorquing a u-bolt results in a less secure fit the second time, even at the same torque. This means that over time, the nut is more likely to come loose. Secondly, the bolt itself can actually stretch when torqued the first time. It is intended to do this. It does not compress back when the nut is taken off though. So if you reuse the bolt, torquing it again stretches it again. Over time, this can make the bolt weaker.

When I did my AAL, I replaced the u-bolts with longer ones that were custom made by a local suspension shop.
i'm not too worried cause i've never had an issue on other vehicles. plus i'm pretty good at overdoing things and if i think there may be a problem in the future i'll just add a little tack weld.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:53 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver_Dodge

+1 The only post that matters.

There should be at least 3/4" of ubolt threads past the nut when tqd. Glad your not on the road near me. Buy the right parts for the job.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:33 PM
97ramrod1500
Captain

Originally Posted by merc225hp
+1 The only post that matters.

There should be at least 3/4" of ubolt threads past the nut when tqd. Glad your not on the road near me. Buy the right parts for the job.

obviously if the parts were needed the AAL would come with new U bolts. I only asked if there were enough threads on the factory U bolts for the AAL. If i need new U bolts I will get them but being that I am an auto tech i will make that decision when i do the job.

Quick Reply: quick add-a-leaf question