2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Intake Keeps Sucking In Oil After Plenum Fix

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 06:09 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
Are you 100% sure you torqued everything correctly?

I torqued the intake bolts a little extra because the actual specs just felt way too loose.

PCV valves are really finniky. Try another one although I doubt a bad one would eat a whole quart.
Originally Posted by woodtrucker
Hambone, I also torqued the bolts a tad bit more. I had a wet #8 and #7 plug before I did the plenum and I just checked those plugs last week (almost a year after the fix) and they were dry. Matt, sounds like the first time you might have not cleaned the gasket surfaces of the intake and heads well enough. I had to work to clean those mating surfaces. Or maybe the gasket shifted on you when you installed. It's really hard to keep gasket in place when putting intake back on.
Do you have a baffle inside your passenger side vc? I've heard several stories of a vc without a baffle sucking a bunch of oil through your pcv. Look on the elbow of the pcv that your hose from intake connects to and see if you have oil a lot of oil in it and the tube going to intake. That might tell you something.
I highly recommend you not exceed the 12 ft/lb torque specs for the intake bolts. The intake manifold will act like a 'wedge' on the heads and over torquing them could cause some head gasket problems later on.

To keep the gaskets in place while installing the intake manifold cut the hex head off 4 of the old intake bolts and screw then back in the 4 corners a small amount. They will act as guide pins and keep the gaskets in place. After you have the intake installed and the other intake bolts snugged down remove the 4 corner cut bolts and screw in the new intake bolts and torque to 12 ft/lb in the required sequence. You can also use 1/4" wooden dowel rods for guide and simply pull them out after snugging the other bolts.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:59 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did the Hughes plenum plate a while back and it stopped the leak for the most part. I noticed a film of oil on the inside a while later and decided to do it again. I did the other Hughes plenum fix (if ya know what I mean) and now there is no way for oil to get in there aside from the PCV valve. When I took my intake manifold off the second time I noticed what looked like oil had been blown through the port for the PCV valve with compressed air.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:27 PM
woodtrucker
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow! I guess that my solve my oil usage woes! I did the plenum and still lose oil though not nearly as bad! I had an aftermarket pcv since plenum fix last year and just swapped in a dealer pcv. I noticed a smaller hole in the bottom of the pcv on the dealer version compared to the aftermarket. I too a paper clip by hand and compressed the spring on both versions to see if the spring compression was different but it felt the same. I wonder if the smaller hole on aftermarket pcv helps prevent as much oil blowing into plenum? Did you use aftermarket or dealer pcv when installing the first time?

Old 12-19-2012, 09:38 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

Aftermarket on mine.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:13 AM
Ham Bone
Champion

Originally Posted by bwdakrt
I highly recommend you not exceed the 12 ft/lb torque specs for the intake bolts. The intake manifold will act like a 'wedge' on the heads and over torquing them could cause some head gasket problems later on.

To keep the gaskets in place while installing the intake manifold cut the hex head off 4 of the old intake bolts and screw then back in the 4 corners a small amount. They will act as guide pins and keep the gaskets in place. After you have the intake installed and the other intake bolts snugged down remove the 4 corner cut bolts and screw in the new intake bolts and torque to 12 ft/lb in the required sequence. You can also use 1/4" wooden dowel rods for guide and simply pull them out after snugging the other bolts.
The first time I put my intake on I torqued them exactly and my manifold gasket went caput. It died as soon as te thermostat opened.

I just torqued them a little extra the second time. Nothing crazy.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:17 PM
woodtrucker
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I torqued mine almost to the next click but not quite so I didn't over do it either.

Quick Reply: Intake Keeps Sucking In Oil After Plenum Fix