2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Pieces of metal in my differential housing...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 02:32 PM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by merc225hp
Edit: You will need one of these to remove the carrier, https://millerspecialtools.spx.com/Detail.aspx?id=1103

You can remove it by using a long drift punch in one of the round holes on either side of the diff. housing. Insert the punch into one of the holes in the adjuster and tap with a hammer. Once one side is loose, the other side is also loose.

I made a tool for setting the carrier bearing preload by removing the adjuster and grinding a large nut down to fit it, welding a 30" piece of rebar to the nut and an old socket to the other end.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:57 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Arde
You can remove it by using a long drift punch in one of the round holes on either side of the diff. housing. Insert the punch into one of the holes in the adjuster and tap with a hammer. Once one side is loose, the other side is also loose.

I made a tool for setting the carrier bearing preload by removing the adjuster and grinding a large nut down to fit it, welding a 30" piece of rebar to the nut and an old socket to the other end.
Yep you can make your own tool, nut size or bolt size is 1" should have one on each end so a tq wrench can be used. If you make/have the tool then there is no need for the use of a punch and you need the tool no if's or buts about it.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:13 PM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I read a lot of different sizes before making mine that's why I took the adjuster out the way I did, so I could make one that fit for sure. Just measured mine, it's a shade larger than 1 3/8", maybe 1 7/16". Also heard about using B body struts but didn't try it. Or was it torsion bars, don't recall.

Last edited by Arde; 12-22-2012 at 03:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Pieces of metal in my differential housing...