2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Pieces of metal in my differential housing...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 02:19 AM
msmith5150
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pieces of metal in my differential housing...

Hello fellow truck owners.

Vehicle in question: 2001 1500 4x4 Laramie 5.9L gasser.

So I am a class 8 diesel truck mechanic, therefore I don't like to have to dink with my own vehicle if I don't have to, put it off, put if off, etc

Now the back story:
Well I decided I need to check fluid levels in the front diff, xfer case, and rear diff since I have not done so in the 2+ years I have owned this truck. Never gave me problems, but I better check.

Front diff and xfer case had decent looking oils so I topped them off. Rear was still full but the fluid in there didn't really resemble oil as I know it :/ So bought new oil for it and some sealant. Slow night in the shop tonight so for my lunch break I decide to change the rear diff oil.

Before I get to the broken stuff, I could use some clarification from the wonderful community. I have the build sheet that I got from a link around here. Says:
3.55 rear axle ratio
Corporate 9.25 LD rear axle
Anti-spin differential rear axle.

Now, is "anti-spin" the same as limited slip or Chrysler's nomenclature "Trac-Lok"? Or do I have the standard differential? (thumbnail below)

(looks pretty standard to me)

That aside, here is what greeted me attached to the magnet in the bottom of the housing (click thumbnail for larger pic):

and the source:

Like I mentioned, I have never heard any problems, but obviously there is a problem and now I know about it and am quite bothered by it. One of my co-workers is a gear guy (I hate gears) and offered to help me do a repair (thankfully).

But I wonder, what are my options? If this isn't the Trac-Lok unit, would it benefit me at all to move into one? If so, what all would I need to change? I have seen things like this http://tinyurl.com/c88hq8k would I need to change the ring and pinion or would that bolt up to what I have?

Should I just throw thrust washers in and be done?

This truck is my daily driver. Mostly to and from work, city driving. I do long highway drives in the warmer months and I on occasion haul a 2 axle trailer generally with wood in the bed and on the trailer.

Any and all help/suggestions/ideas are very much appreciated as always!

Old 12-20-2012, 02:30 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Those are pieces of the Trac-loc clutch pack discs, you can get rebuild kit's $100 for just the discs. As its an dd and not a off road rig just fix it.

Edit: The FSM found in the Diy area for free download covers the rebuilding of this very well.

Last edited by merc225hp; 12-20-2012 at 02:32 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:08 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

very common for the dodge LSD. its the retaining clips.

its my understanding that with the retaining clips broken, the LSD does not operate like its supposed to, but more or less reverts to operating like an open diff. so if the clips fall to the bottom and don't grenade the spider gears or pinion on the way down, that it can continue to operate as an open diff for an unlimited amount of time.

which means there is no urgency in fixing it...

Old 12-20-2012, 10:30 AM
msmith5150
Amateur

Thanks for the help so far guys. After what you said and doing more research it's obvious I have the LSD unit, I also ran across a 6 year old post here that some mentions " Auburn posi or a detroit LSD" are better units.

Are these LSD's direct replacements for the Chrysler Trac-Lok or would the entire rear0end assembly need to be replaced to utilize a different LSD?

Also, if I stick with the Trac-Lok would I see any kind of benefit going from the 3.55 gears to 4.10?

Last edited by msmith5150; 12-20-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:34 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just have to replace the posi unit.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:38 AM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They're direct replacements although you might as well change bearings while you're in there, master install kit for ~$150. I went with Yukon, works well and is rebuildable.

Old 12-22-2012, 01:55 AM
msmith5150
Amateur

I'm going to stick with the Chrysler LSD parts I think, try to save some $$$. I pretty much want to rebuild it, but searching for parts is a bit confusing.

I know I need to at the very least replace the clutch packs, but I would greatly appreciate some suggestions for retailers you guys have had good experiences with and any other parts that would be a good idea to replace while I'm in there.

A reminder: I don't recall ever hearing problems coming from that diff, but the oil was thick and saturated with fine metal particles, and there was probably a little water present in addition to the 2 large pieces from the clutch pack and a few other small chunks of metal.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:24 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have found good prices for diff parts at www.eastcoastgearsupply.com and www.justdifferentials.com

Old 12-22-2012, 12:26 PM
merc225hp
Champion

I have zero suggestions were to get parts down there.

Just make sure you get retainer clips and discs in the parts.

I would suggest you take the carrier out and clean it then inspect it, where the clutch discs go they have a habit of gouging the carrier, I would do this before ordering any parts. I found a complete new Trac-Lok for under $300 on the web last night. Also pull the pinion gear there are two pockets under it that like to hold/hide metal bits. The more discs that break the more slop there will be in the rear end and the possibility that the axle retainer c clip will fall off is good.

Edit: You will need one of these to remove the carrier, https://millerspecialtools.spx.com/Detail.aspx?id=1103

Last edited by merc225hp; 12-22-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:03 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

Quick Reply: Pieces of metal in my differential housing...