2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny fluid line leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 11:27 PM
ReadRam
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny fluid line leak

Finishing up xmas shopping today and out of the blue the transmission started slipping into 2nd. First couple times I thought the wheels were spinning on the ice. As it got worse alternator gauge was way low. Nursed it home about four blocks, popped the hood and there is, I believe, tranny fluid all over the place. So much that the serpentine belt was slipping. totally covering the front of engine and spewed back onto pass side wheel well. Is this from the check valve sticking? It seems the source is from that area, but haven't had time to look at much, being it's -6 out. I know i should search more before asking what to look for? I am hoping it's find the spurt, refill and hope no damage., only drove 4 blocks where it didn't want to shift up. Things had been going to good.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:23 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd check the transmission cooler lines for cracks or breaks, and the fitting on the check valve. If any of those are broke this would be a good time to do the check valve delete (thread in DIY/FAQ Section)

Also, get the truck at normal operating temperature and put the transmission in N, and check the fluid level, see how much fluid you actually have in there.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:47 AM
ReadRam
All Star

The leak was sudden and from the lower right corner cooler lines. Doesn't look like any fluid mixed in coolant or vice versa. I did start it today for 20 minutes or so to check fluid level, never took it out of park except to put in neutral and check fluid level, which, didn't show any on the stick. Immediately shut it off.
Did I do a bone head move by even starting it, when I knew it had to be low?

Last edited by ReadRam; 12-26-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:40 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,216 Likes on 2,967 Posts

If you didn't move the truck, probably ok. Fix the leak, top off the fluid, see what happens.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:37 PM
ReadRam
All Star

Thanks for the quick replies Stewie and HeyYou. She's in nice warm shop getting leak (cooler lines) source repaired. Will post back if transmission survived or not............................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ............

Old 12-26-2012, 04:03 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Should not have incurred any tranny damage. But letting it idle in park will not warm up fluid. Let it idle in neutral as this will circulate fluid through tranny. Get it good and warm and check fluid level.

Let us know for sure what theissue was. The hoses by the check valve and on the other line gets brittle due to heat and time.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:01 PM
ReadRam
All Star

The quick release connector came loose somehow. Pushed it back in and was snug as could be. Filled it up with nearly 5 qts atf+4 and no damage done. All the hoses and crimps are good.

Still wondering how/why that spring loaded connector worked itself loose. Any thoughts on that? The check valve is right there also,correct? They only charged me 80.00 so no new parts.

Last edited by ReadRam; 12-26-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:46 PM
guzman
Professional
Default Tranny fluid

Glad to hear you had no damage, maybe the connection was apart during some repair that you had and not put together properly? I would sure watch it for awhile and give it a pull to make sure its good to go.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:59 PM
Timothy Watrous
Professional

the quick connect on my truck started leaking a little wile ago... its the one were the metal cooler line goes into the drivers side and more towards the front of the tranny... it hasn't come off but is a slow leak... is there a o-ring in there that might have gone bad?

Old 10-10-2013, 10:37 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

NOTE: use only steel tube!!!! or high pressure hose. NOT carb fuel hose!!!!! for chrysler trans lines. hint tube can be metal or flex material, tube is measured on the O.D. nylon, i dont like it, it cracks if stressed . hose is measured on the I.D. in general.

Quick Reply: Tranny fluid line leak