2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 06:23 PM
97_ram1500
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idle problem

well here lately my truck seems to want to die if i let of the gas. the battery is charged and oil is changed every 3k. any chance loose throttle cables could be the answer? we did the hughes kit swap about 2 months ago and since then im thinking that the cables were stretched and the constant tension is causing it to die. would this be possible? opinions please

Old 01-02-2013, 07:42 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

our trucks won't idle if the battery is the least bit weak, anywhere below 12 volts.

so if you're sure the battery is charged up (measure it with voltmeter or battery tester), and you can keep it running with just a little bit of foot pressure on the gas, then start by removing the IAC from the back of the throttle body and cleaning the little hole in the bottom of the well, and check for any solid black gunk on the pintle.

if its stopped up, clean it and reinstall, and reset pcm. if its not all clogged up, then replace IAC for about $40-50 from any parts store. don't forget the o-ring which might be loose in the box.

don't push, pull, or twist the pintle or it will break it. reset pcm by disconnecting neg battery cable and turning on headlights for 30 sec to drain the pcm memory.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:01 PM
murren
Amateur

If I can chime in, I just replaced my battery after 10 years. Old battery had less than 81 CCAs when tested. After replacing with the new one, I now have a problem with my truck idling/loping at stop sign while in gear. My question is, does something need reset or is there a procedure that needs to be done for the truck to relearn it's idle position, other than what dhvaughan has posted here for his reply. Thanks for any help, forum!

Last edited by murren; 01-02-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Look for vacuum leaks. Especially at the cruise servo, which is under the battery....

Old 01-03-2013, 03:57 PM
97_ram1500
Rookie

well the battery has sat on the charger for about an hour and says its charged but its reading on the high side of the gauge and still having this problem. im hoping its just the IAC. going to drop by the local shop tomorrow and get a free opinion.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:50 PM
murren
Amateur

Well, I removed the negative cable on the battery, turned on headlight switch for a minute or so, and reconnected the battery. Seems to have fixed the idle issue. Kudos to dhvaughan for all your knowledge on resetting the pcm. Just wondering if this is similar to what I had to do to my little Bronco II back in the mid 80's (switch this, turn that, disconnect this all within 3 seconds). Will post back with results after a few more days, but the ol' girl is back to her old self again!!

Old 01-03-2013, 09:39 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 97_ram1500
but its reading on the high side of the gauge
what does that mean?

does it mean that the dash voltage gauge is reading > 15 volts?

or does it mean that the battery charger amp meter is reading > 2 amps of charging?

Quick Reply: idle problem