2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

3rd gen parts on 2nd gen

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 05:44 PM
DodgeDodgeDodge
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd gen parts on 2nd gen

Hello everyone! So I have a few questions, and here is my situation. I have a 98 dodge 1500 that is in good running order. And I just acquired a 2002 dodge 1500 with a blown motor and a few other parts missing. It is going to be to much money to fix the 02, so I would like to know what all I can swap over.

So far I have new rims/tires, billet gas cap, and working on aftermarket head unit it came with.

My steering wheel is worn out, and my shift lever is broken. Could I use 3rd gen steering column?

Anything else I should do??

Old 01-03-2013, 05:56 PM
CSDavies26
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My gut is telling me that not much from that 02 is going to cross over....dodge almost completely redesigned the ram 1500 in that year. if it was an 02 2500, then it would be a different story. You can always call up your local parts store and go through a list of parts that you would like to keep from the 02 (wheel bearings, brake parts, exhaust parts, springs, etc) and have them see if they are the same part number from 98-02. I really doubt it tho.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:21 PM
DodgeDodgeDodge
Amateur

There are lots of 2nd and 3rd gen conversion threads out there, but many don't give definite answers. I have heard steering, brakes, can be swapped. The 02 dodge has 3.55 rear end, could I swap rear ends seems how my rear end is howling?

Old 01-03-2013, 06:29 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What parts are missing from the '02? I think the '02s still had the 5.9L Magnum, not sure if it was still a 46RE Transmission or not.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:34 PM
DodgeDodgeDodge
Amateur

Originally Posted by stewie01
What parts are missing from the '02? I think the '02s still had the 5.9L Magnum, not sure if it was still a 46RE Transmission or not.
It has the 4.7 liter. But it's missing the exhaust (minus headers and y pipe), cv joints, no calipers on front, sway bar links, needs new windshield, couple broken studs, and needs a safety inspection. Plus engine obviously, the truck was pretty rallied

Old 01-03-2013, 08:23 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like it.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:44 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DodgeDodgeDodge
My steering wheel is worn out, and my shift lever is broken. Could I use 3rd gen steering column?

Anything else I should do??

How do you break a shift lever?

Don't know if column will swap out, just look at lower end and see if it looks similar. Also measure length of column and ignition switch connectors. Also check parts manual in FAQ/DIY section.

Same fo steering wheel. They are easy to remove - take it off and see if it boolt up and check wiring for cruise and other items that may be on there (do any of these Rams have audio controls on steering wheel?).

Old 01-04-2013, 02:27 AM
DodgeDodgeDodge
Amateur

Originally Posted by gdstock
How do you break a shift lever?

Don't know if column will swap out, just look at lower end and see if it looks similar. Also measure length of column and ignition switch connectors. Also check parts manual in FAQ/DIY section.

My truck had the broken lever when I bought it. Looked like he tore it apart to get to the OD wires. I just want to make it look a bit nicer.

Same fo steering wheel. They are easy to remove - take it off and see if it boolt up and check wiring for cruise and other items that may be on there (do any of these Rams have audio controls on steering wheel?).
Okay I will look at it soon. I read the air bag connector isn't the same so I will look for that too. Just wondering if anyone has done this before

Quick Reply: 3rd gen parts on 2nd gen